I need help, and I have no idea where to ask .. :S
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lifprasir

New Head-Fier
To start with, I'm a COMPLETE noob in audio scene, like, I didn't even know that headphones needed amplifiers..Yeah, that bad.
blink.gif
I'm buying my first few pairs of headphones : Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser PC 350 and Sony MDR-V150.

Reasons:

Sennheiser HD555 : These will never leave my computer room, I'm going to be using these all the time I'm on my computer as I always listen to music while on PC.

Sennheiser PC 350 : I'm going to be using these for gaming, I can't use the Sennheiser HD555 + Clip on mic because my desktop's fan are EXTREMELY loud, and I really mean EXTREMELY, so the noise cancellation is a big plus for me :)

Sony MDR-V150 : I'm going to have these on me all the time at school, in the bus, etc since these are fairly cheap and I don't want to risk 100$+ of investment in the outdoors.

Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that I do in fact need a sound card for the Sennheisers, and maybe an amplifier too, but I'm still clueless about how do they work together lol. I also have a Sony CMT-BX3 Hi Fi System... If it helps.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 14
For less than the price of the PC 350, why not get some nicer fans or a fan controller for your PC? (unless if you have a full tower full of Deltas or something, in which case you should invest in ear plugs)

Also, instead of the V150s, look into some cheap Koss KSC75s. Same price, different league of sound quality. The V150s have an annoyingly long cord anyway.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
For less than the price of the PC 350, why not get some nicer fans or a rheobus for your PC? (unless if you have a full tower full of Deltas or something, in which case you should invest in ear plugs)

Also, instead of the V150s, look into some cheap Koss KSC75s. Same price, different league of sound quality.

Almost, it's a mid tower of 3 Deltas. :D (Rear exhaust, and push pull) I really did NOT think they would be that strong, like, WOW.. I just searched the Koss KSC75s, and to be honest, I don't like the design of it + the 1/4 plug that the MDR-V150 comes with is much appreciated for my guitar amplifier . P:

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I have a question: are you planning to use the HD555 and the PC 350 at the same computer? Wouldn't the CPU be too loud for the HD555?

Well, when I'm gaming, I'll switch the fans to higher settings and use the PC350, otherwise I'll keep them at a quiet rate. But back to the main question, what sound card should I buy for the HD555 and PC350?

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 14
Ah I see. In that case, do you need to game at a competitive level? If not, maybe you could get one pair of decent, closed headphones for your PC instead of 2 pairs.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Ah I see. In that case, do you need to game at a competitive level? If not, maybe you could get one pair of decent, closed headphones for your PC instead of 2 pairs.

tbh, I never put them at 100%, i'd be crazy if i do lol, more or so at 60%. Maybe I should buy just one sepperate headphones, which one would you recommand? .. and I don't game at a competitive level at all, I'm just an overclock head :D

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
tbh, I never put them at 100%, i'd be crazy if i do lol, more or so at 60%. Maybe I should buy just one sepperate headphones, which one would you recommand? .. and I don't game at a competitive level at all, I'm just an overclock head :D

I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about fan speed at all; I was just saying that you need isolation, but you don't need killer headphones for competitive gaming, so just get one pair of closed headphones instead of 2 pairs of headphones for use at your PC.

Quote:
Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs. Great isolation!

True. But they can hurt a bit after prolonged use--I should know, because my HD 25 is plugged into my laptop all the time.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 14
I game for upwards of half an hour each time. A round of Left 4 Dead, for example, usually takes my group 45 mins to run through, excluding about 5-10mins "setup" time when we're waiting for one last guy to join the pre-game lobby. And I might go for 2 rounds at a stretch.
So, believe me when I say that the HD 25 can be painful if it's for prolonged use--noteworthy since time flies when gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back