I need computer speakers
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rockmonkey95

New Head-Fier
Hey so its summer in NY and that means I need to blast the a/c otherwise its 90 degrees in my room.  The problem is that when I crank up the a/c I can't hear music or movies from my laptop.  In order to fix this problem I need computer speakers that have a nice bass and sound clear.  I don't know anything about computer speakers so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that is under or at least around $100.  Thank you!

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I know the feeling i live in the Big Apple myself and fortunately was blessed with a new ac recently. Its much more quieter then my old one which might be one possible option is to just get a quieter air conditioner. I can actually listen to my speakers at nearfield positioning volumes without straining and the same at normal volumes. No speaker blasting around here since its not really my thing and i just find myself annoyed when i do it.

You could also go for some closed back headphones. One of the many i use to shut outside noise out is the KRK KNS-8400 and Koss Pro 4aat. Both very detailed with the Koss being more bassy yet defined in the treble department. Sound isolation is excellent at least on my big jawed mega sized forehead skull :D

With a quieter ac unit for my speaker listening i use some JBL Control One bookshelf speakers which are incredible for nearfield close up listening. I also use the Insignia NS B2111 but those are no longer sold though you could probably find them on sale online. Those are also incredible when it comes to highly detailed treble at low volumes with the option of more bass. They are front ported so one less worry when it comes to bass distortion or bothering the neighbors due to being too close to corner walls etc.

The JBL Control One was about 150.00 when i purchased it about three years ago.
The Insignia NS B2111 Bass Reflex speakers were $89.00 at Best Buy when i got them last year. I really lucked out on those since they were the last ones in the store. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 10
I know these are probably on the upper end of your range, but in terms of speakers, you could probably find the Swan M10, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, or M-Audio AV40 for around $100.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I know these are probably on the upper end of your range, but in terms of speakers, you could probably find the Swan M10, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, or M-Audio AV40 for around $100.

I don't know about US prices but these would def be better than computer speakers sound wise. I own behringer MS40s and they sound way better than all the computer speakers I used before.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey guys thanks for all the replies.  I've been looking at the Klipsch promedia 2.1 and the jbl creature iii.  Has anyone had any experience with the jbl creatures? I know a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the promedias but I just want to make sure there aren't any other speakers that are quiet as good for a lower price.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I havent heard the JBL CREATURE III's but here is a Amazon link with plenty of customer reviews to help in seeing what they're about-

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Creature-III-Self-Powered-Multimedia/dp/B002TLSTGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341777983&sr=1-1&keywords=jbl+creature+iii

The NHT SuperZero 2.0 Mini Monitor also seems quite good and one of those underground unknown greats. It also has a great low profile if your low on desk space-

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-0-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0049FA1TM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 10
After doing some research apparently the swan m10 hold a slight edge over the klipsch promedias.  Does anyone know if this site http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m10-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system%2C-white&cPath=21_24&products_id=89& is legit? or does any1 have another site that they know isn't a scam that i can buy the swan's from?

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
After doing some research apparently the swan m10 hold a slight edge over the klipsch promedias.  Does anyone know if this site http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m10-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system%2C-white&cPath=21_24&products_id=89& is legit? or does any1 have another site that they know isn't a scam that i can buy the swan's from?

I bought my Swans from "The Audio Insider" site.  No issues.  I would buy again from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back