I need an Amplifier
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

barboa

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I just picked up some solid ATH-M50's popped them into my PC and realized, I need an amplifier. I was curious to find out if using them on my mixer changed anything at all. I am using a Mixtrack Pro and that is of course is powered by USB, I didn't realize any amplification and was wondering what amplifier should I be looking to get. From my understanding I believe that I should be getting the e11 or the e17 The e17 is just a tad bit out of my range, but i would like to know someone else's recommendation on what I should be doing.

Thanks

Alex 

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey barboa!

I have a FiiO E11 and it works like a charm for my HFI-780 and Clip+ or Nano.
The E11 is a Battery powered portable amp. You can not use it while you charge it.

If what you want is indeed a portable amp here are two excellent reviews on various amps to check out.

Here is an excellent review of 7 sub $100 amps
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-7-1-amps-compared

And here is an older thread with 11 portable amps compared ranging from $129 to $699
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-11-amps-reviewed-portaphile-627-epiphany-eph-o2-arrow-4g-added-6-07-12

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I just picked up some solid ATH-M50's popped them into my PC and realized, I need an amplifier. I was curious to find out if using them on my mixer changed anything at all. I am using a Mixtrack Pro and that is of course is powered by USB, I didn't realize any amplification and was wondering what amplifier should I be looking to get. From my understanding I believe that I should be getting the e11 or the e17 The e17 is just a tad bit out of my range, but i would like to know someone else's recommendation on what I should be doing.

Asus Xonar DG ($14-$24) or DGX ($40) sound card.
Fiio E10 ($80)

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 6
You should get a DAC + Amp.
PC audio is crap. So as PurpleAngel said, a good soundcard should be worth it. Check for Xonar DX, or if it fits in your budget, Xonar STX.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're looking cheap, I'd recommend the Fiio E7 DAC/Amp. I have one for my office. It's about the size of an iPod, so you also get the portability. I got it on Craigslist for $50, I think new is going to be about $70-80.

Like proton said, your computer's DAC is typically going to be crappy, so you'll want an amp that is also a DAC. Either that, or you can replace your computer's soundcard with a nicer one, but I don't know as much about that. I'd like to learn more, though, as I currently run my Macbook into a more high-end DAC/Amp. Maybe a new soundcard is more cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back