I need an amp...I want to buy one tomorrow......But which one? Portable or Full size???
Jul 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

redbird

New Head-Fier
OK, I finally decide to purchase the Sennhiser HD598 headphone, but now I need help on buying an amp? I AM looking the Schiit amp, but I am now thinking about a portable amp so it can serve double duty. Main main concern is sound quality. Which will  I get better sound from a? My budget is around $400 (Of course I would like to spend less if possible)
Thanks for your help.,

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 19
Does the $400 include the prize of the hd598? If it does, how much can you get the hd598 for? $400 a bit too much for an amp considering that the headphone costs around $200

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
No, the $400 is the most I would be willing to spend on a amp/dac portable combo or a home headphone amp. I already purchased the headphones.

Maybe iBasso D6 at $275 with USB DAC or D12 with optical, coax and USB for $285?

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Well, the HD598 isn't portable, so why would you buy a portable amp? I say go for full-size. Better price/performance ratio anyways.
I think an E7+E9 would work out great. And hey! E7 can double up as a portable amp!

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Well, the HD598 isn't portable, so why would you buy a portable amp? I say go for full-size. Better price/performance ratio anyways.
I think an E7+E9 would work out great. And hey! E7 can double up as a portable amp!

If he has a laptop, he can take the amp with him to the bedroom, but other wise, you got a very good point there 
atsmile.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 19
The cost of the headphones to budget for an amp is not a factor. If you could do a study on what amp costs are compared to the headphone used, you'd find amps will cost several times the cost of a typical headphone. Amp build and finding the "cheapest" parts and design circuits will sound like it too. You are wasting your money to think you're getting the same out of a $200 amp that you are from a higher priced/build amp.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Read Boomana's wiki for new users. You'll find a good explanation of why portable amps aren't ideal for all headphones. Sometimes you really need power off the mains.

A very good desktop amp I enjoy is the Dynalo. They're going for $300. Great circuit, lots of clean power. They've been popular for a long time.

Like HC said, there's no way to compare prices for headphones and amps. Headphones just have a few parts and are easily assembled. An amp typically has dozens, if not over 100 parts. The parts cost more than the raw cost of headphones (especially transformers) and take a bit of labor to assemble. There's zero relationship between headphones and amps in terms of cost.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 19
If you plan on using playing music on you computer, why not use a Centrance Dacport, it's a cool device that measures measures and delivers up to 1.5W of power via USB.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 19
The OP first needs to decide whether he wants an amp for desktop only or if he wants something that he can also use when out and about.   Only then can he really begin to narrow down the choices.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 19
I will recommend the iBasso PB2 AMPs for both desktop and portable use. If AMPs/DAC need for home use then these are recommmended like Matrix M Stage, Matrix Quattro,  Yulong D100(AMPs/DAC).

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I will recommend the iBasso PB2 AMPs for both desktop and portable use. If AMPs/DAC need for home use then these are recommmended like Matrix M Stage, Matrix Quattro,  Yulong D100(AMPs/DAC).

The Matrix Quattro and the Yulong D100 are quite expensive, and the M-Stage is only an amp, not a Dac.

I recommend the Matrix Cube and the Yulong U100 (the U100 also has an analog in, which is very useful, the D100 does not).

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Ok, I narrowed it down to the Fiio E9 or the Ibasso (Not sure which one)  What do you guys think. I mostly listen to my phones at home.

If you mostly listen at home you should get a Matrix Cube or Yulong U100, imho.  Fiio E9 and Ibasso are designed for portability, so their SQ isn't quite at the same level as desktop Dac/Amp's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back