I need a new backpack! any suggestions?!?!
Feb 21, 2008 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
I came home form school today to realize that my backpack is gross, and my shoulder straps about really worn out - no wonder, I've used these for about 5 years now...
I currently have a north face backpack "big shot" and I'm looking to get a new backpack.
I need to carry several books + my laptop. It doesnt have to have laptop compartments because I have an incase sleeve and my laptop is small (12 inch)

I can't stand those dakine backpacks (not very durable at all) or targus backpacks (makes me look like I'm pregnant backwards).
Any suggestions out there for backpacks with ample room+good support+and maybe good looks?

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 76
What's really comfortable are those Jansport ones with Air-gels in the straps--which are S-curved to wrap nicely around your shoulders+chest.

They have only a few select models with those awesome straps, get any one of those.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 76
Wenger (Swiss Army) has been putting out some backpacks that IMO are rather good. My father, sister and I all use different models and none of us has any complaints yet. My dad in particular uses his to carry around several files, a couple of books and his 12 inch Vaio and says that it has ample space for him. I carry around similar stuff except for my laptop is 15 inch and I still have enough space in mine for all my stuff as well.

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 76
thanks for input guys
biggrin.gif

I couldn't stand the build quality of jansports (many of my friends have them and they fall apart within a year).
I'll check out those swissgear/Wenger ones... but I might go grab one when I travel to japan this summer - as well as some headphones
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by autosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a good amount of cash to spend and you like bike messenger bags, look at a Timbuk2. It'll last you forever and is very comfortable. It comes in sizes that range from pretty small to absolutely gigantic.

x2. I've had one for about 10 years and except for some wear on the liner, it still looks brand new.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 76
TIMBUK2
last you forever, and if not they'll send you another no problem...
been running around with one for almost ten years (know i had it by '99; but can't remember when I got it) in nyc.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 76
The Swiss Army bags are nice. You might also check out Mountainsmith, not sure what they make as far as casual/school backpacks but their gear is great (my expedition size pack is a Mountainsmith, and I know others who have used their stuff as well).

There's also a company called Deuter making really nice bags. I use their Speed Lite 30 for school and as my day pack and love it.

For what it's worth I can't stand those Jansport "air" straps. I find them extraordinarily uncomfortable, they're way too bulky and inflexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back