I need a new backpack! any suggestions?!?!
Feb 22, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 76
I have a medium timbuk2 laptop messenger and a medium chrome bag. The timbuk2 has much more utility because of its many pockets and is a bit more comfortable than the chrome. With that said, I wear my chrome everyday simply because I'm the only one on my campus with one.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #33 of 76
Wow, thanks for all these great inputs, guys!
I think I'll check out arc'teryx because they're a local company (North Vancouver) and I can get discounts off of my friend ( he works as a rep. for the company) so and he said I could get 75% off.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #36 of 76
How much do those head porters go for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried on Arc'teryx backpacks - but they are not very well made at all... even my friend didn't recommend it...my search continues...
Head Porter Shati Ruck Sack Black/Black
I think I'll most likely get these when I go to japan in the summer.. I guess my old backpack will have to do for next few months...

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by autosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do those head porters go for?

I think around 200-250? It would be a backpack that lasts forever so I'm willing to save up for it
I'm a HUGE head-porter/porter fan

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

I tried on Arc'teryx backpacks - but they are not very well made at all... even my friend didn't recommend it...my search continues...
Head Porter Shati Ruck Sack Black/Black
I think I'll most likely get these when I go to japan in the summer.. I guess my old backpack will have to do for next few months...

really? all arc'teryx products i have ever seen and tried are very well built...?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? all arc'teryx products i have ever seen and tried are very well built...?

apprently they fit simmer people well, people with wider shoulders have more problem with them, apparently. They are great quality - but their sizing is weird. and Price of 180 for a basic backpack with limited storage space and virtually no compartments ( there's a large one in the front, that's it) is a turn-off, since I need lots of pockets for pens, mp3s, power cords etc.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

apprently they fit simmer people well, people with wider shoulders have more problem with them, apparently. They are great quality - but their sizing is weird. and Price of 180 for a basic backpack with limited storage space and virtually no compartments ( there's a large one in the front, that's it) is a turn-off, since I need lots of pockets for pens, mp3s, power cords etc.

So your issue is not that it's not well made (as you said in your original post), it's that it doesn't work well for you. Those are two very different issues. For the record, I've found Arc'teryx to offer exceptional products across the board (expensive though!).

As for your comment about them fitting slimmer people, I'm a bit over 5' 9" and weigh 137 pounds (built like a cyclist, what can I say), so there you go.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your issue is not that it's not well made (as you said in your original post), it's that it doesn't work well for you. Those are two very different issues. For the record, I've found Arc'teryx to offer exceptional products across the board (expensive though!).

As for your comment about them fitting slimmer people, I'm a bit over 5' 9" and weigh 137 pounds (built like a cyclist, what can I say), so there you go.
biggrin.gif

yup, it's not built to my needs - that's what I was trying to say - because of its size and functional limitations. Their day packs are pretty basic, and their hiking packs all have aluminum support on them, which I don't need
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #43 of 76
I was wondering about your Arc Teryx comments as well. In my experience there is not a company who puts more care or thought into their products. Saying they're not at all well made is IMO ridiculous. Maybe you dont like them, thats fine. You get what you pay for in life, $180 bucks for something that will last decades is not really much of an investment in my book. In regards to fit...I'm 6'7'' and 230 pounds, not really svelte at all and their stuff fits me well. End of my fan boy rant

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #44 of 76
oops, look what my comment brought up.
Great finishing of materials, but not enough functionality for me with Arc'tryx (they tended to be very narrow in terms of width). I need something bigger than 22L~ close to 30L with multiple compartments. so I was looking at Head porter ruck sack.
With backpacks - one really needs to try them on, right? that's why I'm willing to wait few months until I go to japan to try them on.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #45 of 76
I love DaKine. I have one that I've used since the dawn of man for skiing, hiking, biking, and school. It has a built-in aluminum frame which is great for support. I can take 2-3 water bladders and tools, or 1 week of clothes + laptop when I use it on vacation
smily_headphones1.gif
Super durable and once you strap it on it won't budge at all thanks to thick shoulder and waist straps and a sternum strap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back