I modded my Grado... And now it sounds terrible!
Jul 19, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #31 of 36
Think it's probably a lot of hassle to save an affordable pair of headphones, if you enjoy the sound these have given you I would purchase another pair, probably lightly used second hand ones which have already been run in which will sound like your old ones.

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #32 of 36
Think it's probably a lot of hassle to save an affordable pair of headphones, if you enjoy the sound these have given you I would purchase another pair, probably lightly used second hand ones which have already been run in which will sound like your old ones.
I really feels uncomfortable to post about other headphones in this thread when we talk about headphone cable quality replacement.

also I agree with you, I really ashamed to have a pair of headphones with mark\model, but used another driver.
but in my case of iCON HP-280 I do not want to buy another one.
but as I saw that I not the first one who destroys the driver , in this case 40mm one.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #33 of 36

I started modding mine with the "coin mod" and "tape mod" (learning from this forum) and I was happy with each improvement. Then I realized the cables needed soldering, and I messed up the driver.. I guess I have gotten caught up in the "mod and fix" mode of my brain.

Since mine "broke" (ehem...), I went to try the SR80e in some stores, and I took the chance to compare SR80e, SR125e, SR325e and PS500e. This will not be a review, but.. each was better. Now I would never get the SR80e but sure, a second hand set SR80 would be replacing what I messed up. :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 36
Yes, and very easily. Grados are sensitive to heat from a soldering iron for any longer than a second or two. Call Grado in NY and arrange to send them in for repair, the people there are pleasant to chat with and the cost is reasonable. If there is a cable you want them to install they may help you out.

Otherwise you can look into aftermarket drivers, but just be quick with the soldering when replacing.

Heat sinks, guys. Radio Shack used to be a good source but there must be other places.

When I'm working on discrete components than can burn up I clamp heat sinks all over the leads till there's no space left. They act as radiators and suck the heat off the cable or lead and the heat goes where the soldering iron wants...

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #36 of 36
Hi guys,
the family bunny just chewed the cable... I'm doomed.
Anyway, still thousand of threads about cables, still and lost again. Any new sources for "ready to solder decent (gauge?) cable"? (at least with no Litz wire if I have to cut the terminals to solder in the cans).
Wonder why it's so hard to find :'( and Grado won't sell here in France a replacement cable.

That little evil bunny...
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back