I miss bass... Recommend me an IEM or headphone!!
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
I was using a pair of V-Moda Bass-Freq IEMs for about four months before they crapped out on me (the right channel died). For forty dollars, I was kind of irritated and surprised, as I treated them fairly well. These things had a LOT of bass, especially for IEMs (they had more bass than my Sony MDR-7506s, which I use for DJing). I listen to a lot of rock, punk, hardcore, house, trance, and industrial.

I got a pair of Shure E210s and hated them, primarily for the profound lack of bass. I returned them and got a pair of Etymotic ER6is with the promise of "enhanced bass" on the package. That couldn't have been farther from the truth. The bass on these is truly weak, even with a good seal. I tried to suffer through it, and maybe they'd burn in or I'd get used to it. I really hate these and want to get something better. Any advice on that? I want to get IEMs, as they're wonderfully light and good for working out, and I already have bigass supraural DJ headphones.

Anyone have any advice for some IEMs with powerful bass, clear highs, and strong mids? I love the way IEMs block sound.

I'm tempted by the V-Moda Vibes or Vibe Duos but after a $40 pair crapped out after four months, I'm very wary of the brand. My budget is about $150.

Let me know! Thanks!

Justin

EDIT: I'd also consider some smaller over the head headphones, like the Sennheiser PX100 or the Koss Porta Pro. I'm also not interested in getting a headphone amp. I'm on and off the subway all day, so I don't want something extra to carry around. However, the fact that these don't block sound too well puts me off a bit...

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 40
I have both the ER6i's and the M5's. I think the M5's are just what you're looking for, particularly if you use some form of foamie ear sleeve (the Fututre Sonics flanges look brutal but aren't that bad, but I still prefer foams for comfort, fit and isolation ... YMMV ... Future Sonics foams work very well, but need to be replaced more often than the new black Shure foams would).

These things sound more like headphones than most in-ears do. There's only so much you can do with an in-ear, but Future Sonics manages the type of sound you say you want.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 40
The Bass Freqs shared the notoriously bad plug with the Vibes. I'm pretty certain that was your problem. It has been fixed on the Vibes at least and probably the Bass Freqs. That said the Atrios or the Super.fi 5EBs would suit your needs. The Atrios are less bass oriented though, so if you want subwoofer in your head go for the super.fis.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 40
the super.fi EB all the way! You're a basshead, they're made for you!
basshead.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 40
the super fi 5 pro's fall around your price budget, and they perform very well for my punk/rock/alternative/hip hop/techno. The bass is very nice, much cleaner than my jvc marshmallows, and just overall the super fi's provide a warm sound that pleases my ears

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 40
I'd go with the M5's or the 5EB's as well-- I don't think the 5EB's would be overkill especially since it seems that it's bass in particular that you're looking for.

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 40
Yea-u-rite. Atrios or EB's fo' sho'. No contest really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back