I LOVE MASSIVE ATTACK - Any other Trip-Hop recommendations?
Apr 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smith & Mighty
Pressure Drop
Waldeck

Been thinking about checking out Waldeck for a while... what is Pressure Drop? Smith & Mighty is one of my favourites, of course.
340smile.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 50
X2 on DJ Shadow. Also - Prefuse 73, Boards of Canada, Goldie, Roni Size & Reprazent

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been thinking about checking out Waldeck for a while... what is Pressure Drop? Smith & Mighty is one of my favourites, of course.
340smile.gif

Pressure Drop - Elusive. The disc is very similar in style to Blue Lines.
$0.98 and streaming samples here: http://www.spun.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=882930

Waldeck is pretty cool stuff, their style is kind of a Protection/Mezzanine fusion. Lots of deep bass, but not slow or syrupy.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #20 of 50
Looks like most of the basics have been covered. That whole Bristol sound and trip-hop in general kind of died out a few years ago so not too much on the newish side of music, and what is has gotten a little watered down with too much syrupy new age sound from Dido types, but you named a good one in Massive Attack. Definitely love the first two Tricky's, Maxinquaye and Pre-Millenium Tension, and anything by Portishead including Beth Gibbons own CD. DJ Shadow's Entroducing... is a classic from the latter days of trip-hop. Love the Kid Loco A Grand Love Story in its original 2-CD French release version. And Cibo Matto has two very good ones, with VIVA! La Woman especially intriguing. The singer with Tricky, Martina Topley-Bird, put out a very nice record of her own a couple years ago called Quixotic that has some contributions from him too. Not essential, but I love her voice and delivery and it is very good. Ruby had a good debut, though a bit more mainstream. And Beth Orton's Central Reservation is very good too in that folkie trip-hop sound, with a killer opening "Stolen Car" fueled with some of that great growling guitar playing of Ben Harper.

But the one you're missing most from my perspective (other than a few Bjork records if we call that trip-hop, and I do) is Laika Sounds of the Satellites, like someone up ahead of me already mentioned. Mid 90s electro-organic wonderfulness that others are only now catching up to. Spastic, frenetic, playful, melodic and groovy all at the same time. What a combo. Essential, but seems little known outside of music geek circles. Close to my favorite of the 90s. Still wildly inventive and fresh.

And Dot Allison has a lot of charm too. Wonder if there's any other Dot Allison fans here? I really like her last two solo albums (wonder if she has anything new out?), but I keep going back to that one I like best by One Dove, called Morning Dove White. This was Dot Allison's first band back in the early 90s. Mostly spacey, ambient "chill out" music, but I really think this is the best thing she's ever done, although each of her albums has some great songs. I especially like the more upbeat ones on this CD. They were a short-lived Scottish trio that got a lot of recognition in the UK when the whole trip-hop/dance/club/dub/ambient/chill-out/whatever scene was exploding. More guitars on a couple songs than some of the others in the genre, kind of a predecessor to what Death In Vegas did later both with and without the same Dot Allison before her first solo release. But more on the dub side than most of DiV and not as dense. I guess actually it's not really like DiV at all. Kind of like Protection-era Massive Attack - maybe a little like what Madonna morphed into a few years later - she's always ahead of the curve, ya know. Three remixes of the White Love single is a little too much, but still a very cool and solid album.

So here's 5 a little off the normal path ...

Skylab - #1 (little known but very tasty trippy electronica)
Kid Loco - A Grand Love Story (classic original French 2-disc version)
Leftfield - Leftism (essential - one of the best of the 90s)
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites (a little more jittery than others)
Bowery Electric - Lushlife (big rolling, churning soundscapes)

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 50
Davey:
I'll have to check out Skylab as your recommendations are usually spot on.

I have Bowery Electrics Beat... is Lushlife much better?

The others are great pics.
340smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by hudsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Four Tet is also awesome.. His style can be described best as "folktronic"

Or IDM I suppose... though most people find that to be a dirty word.
biggrin.gif

I love Fourtet. Also a big fan of Manitoba/Caribou, M83 and Ratatat to name a few. Wouldn't say any of them are really Trip Hop though. Not that it really matters.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davey:I have Bowery Electrics Beat... is Lushlife much better?

Probably not, though don't think I ever heard the ones before or after Lushlife. Definitely not essential, and probably shouldn't have listed it, but there's something about it I really like. The sound is kind of unique, even though it doesn't really stray far from the likes of Portishead. Different production, I guess. More of a shoegaze sound with the guitar walls.

That Skylab record is very cool, and I do have the record. Great sound too. Kind of laidback and spacey, but very nice. Probably closer to what some would call electronica than trip-hop, but most of the good stuff does cross the genre boundaries.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not, though don't think I ever heard the ones before or after Lushlife. Definitely not essential, and probably shouldn't have listed it, but there's something about it I really like. The sound is kind of unique, even though it doesn't really stray far from the likes of Portishead. Different production, I guess. More of a shoegaze sound with the guitar walls.

Well, going by AMG, Beat gets 4.5 and Lushlife gets 3... but they aren't exactly the most accurate resource.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Skylab record is very cool, and I do have the record. Great sound too. Kind of laidback and spacey, but very nice. Probably closer to what some would call electronica than trip-hop, but most of the good stuff does cross the genre boundaries.

Nice, I will check it out.
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 50
I've mentioned him before and will continue to do so: IAMX.
Very very good stuff. Bit more active than Massive Attack, great vocals and a very enthusiastic though serious sound. It's a side project of Chriss Corner, from Sneaker Pimps. Both Kiss + Swallow and The Alternative are great albums and are in my opinion even better than Massive Attack.

Also check out Fischerspooner and Ladytron. IAMX, Fischerspooner, and Ladytron are all faster than Massive Attack but should definitely be heard as they have a very specific sound that you just have to hear. If only I could hear them again for the first time.
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on guys, what about dj shadow? he IS the godfather afterall. check out Preemptive Strike. probably doesn't sound super similar to most stuff mentioned in this topic but i love it. first got me interested in trip-hop and jungle.

x2

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 50
Check out: quantic, nightmares on wax, blockhead, thunderball, tosca.

Especially: dabrye.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 50
Especially dabrye eh? Might have to give that a spin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nightmares on Wax is one of my favourites. I like Quantic, but QSO is far better in my opinion.
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 50
X2 for Leftfield/Leftism. Davey is spot on: a stone classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back