I LOVE MASSIVE ATTACK - Any other Trip-Hop recommendations?
Mar 31, 2007 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
Not a lot of this stuff here in Australia. We're more trance and house. I think it's heaps more popular in the UK and US.

Mmmm... Blue Lines, Mezzanine and Protection... all 3 have to be in my top 10 albums of all time!
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldfrapp, Laika, Tricky, Portishead, Zero 7, and other stuff like that would probably be the easiest lines to draw.

Audiophile recording quality?

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laika

Laika is absolutely awesome! I checked out their "Sounds of the Satellites" based on a recommendation from another head-fi trip-hop thread, and it was one of my best "discoveries" in the past year. Highly recommended!

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 50
Thievery Corporation, Lamb, Gus Gus, Hooverphonic.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 50
This thread is a great place to start. There are some very nice recommendations there and I stand by the ones I gave.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portishead... plus i heard their new cd might come out this year

Yeah, but how many years in a row have we been hearing that for now?
smily_headphones1.gif

A couple comments on what has been recommended so far:

Theivery Corporation is amazing, but I would not call it trip hop. I know they use similar vocalists sometimes, but that is about it.

gusgus is ok. I saw them live and they weren't too impressive.

I love Morcheeba, but they seem to be one of those love them or hate them groups. Most people I know don't really care for them.

Get the first album by Supreme Beings of Leisure and leave it at that. Their other albums are somewhat lacking. Also, if you get the chance to see them live... see something else.
evil_smiley.gif

I would say the same thing about UNKLE, as their first album is much different [and better IMO] than the rest of their stuff. Esthero's first is very nice, but I hear her newest album is basically just some bad rap.

Goldfrapp, Laika, Tricky, Zero 7, Lamb, Mono and Hooverphonic are all excellent and pretty much required listening as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I think Portishead is overrated... though I am definately in the minority there. Check out 'Poison' by Jay Jay Johanson for an alternate take on the sound of their self titled album.
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Morcheeba, but they seem to be one of those love them or hate them groups. Most people I know don't really care for them.

I love their second album, Big Calm, for what that's worth.

Also the first Portishead album.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 50
What about Massive's latest album 100th Window?
I know alot of people dont think its as good as there earlier material but I think its terrific.
Also, try Sneaker Pimps-"Becoming X", Everything but the Girl's-"Walking Wounded" and specifically Hooverphonic's-"Blue Wonder Power Milk" which IMO is less poppy and more Trip Hoppy? than a "New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular".

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 50
come on guys, what about dj shadow? he IS the godfather afterall. check out Preemptive Strike. probably doesn't sound super similar to most stuff mentioned in this topic but i love it. first got me interested in trip-hop and jungle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back