I LOVE MASSIVE ATTACK - Any other Trip-Hop recommendations?
Apr 6, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #31 of 50
Being a huge massive attack fan myself and echoing said recommendations I would say pick up:

esthero - breath from another
hooverphonic - a stereophonic sound spectacular
thievery corp - reichest man in babylon

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leftfield - Leftism (essential - one of the best of the 90s)

x2
This one is a classic, and a must have...

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've mentioned him before and will continue to do so: IAMX.
Very very good stuff. Bit more active than Massive Attack, great vocals and a very enthusiastic though serious sound. It's a side project of Chriss Corner, from Sneaker Pimps. Both Kiss + Swallow and The Alternative are great albums and are in my opinion even better than Massive Attack.

Also check out Fischerspooner and Ladytron. IAMX, Fischerspooner, and Ladytron are all faster than Massive Attack but should definitely be heard as they have a very specific sound that you just have to hear. If only I could hear them again for the first time.
cool.gif

IAMX better than Massive Attack? Thats a serious statement my friend. You are comparing a revolutionary, genre defining, multi faceted "band" with an extensive discography to Chriss Corner?-dont know if thats even possible.
Also, IAMX is electro-pop, not Trip Hop.

Fischerspooner and Ladytron are terrific recommendations and incredibly talented artists, but they are not Trip-Hop either.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #36 of 50
Yeah, the Daddy G album is lots of fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #39 of 50
Also, nothing like Massive Attack at all, but if you've ever wanted to know what acoustic electronic (oxymoron, I know) sounds like, this is it:

The Notwist - Neon Golden

B00008BL4F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gah! No one ever mentions Archive when a Massive Attacker wants some recommends.

Well, I linked a thread where I recommend them. That doesn't count?
biggrin.gif

They are not really all that much like Massive Attack when it comes right down to it, but definately one of my favourites. Lately I have really been loving that sound. Along with Londinium, I have been listening to a lot of Alias... not to mention Earthling and castheadwork.
wink.gif

The Notwist is also excellent of course, but very different again as you said.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I linked a thread where I recommend them. That doesn't count?
biggrin.gif

They are not really all that much like Massive Attack when it comes right down to it, but definately one of my favourites. Lately I have really been loving that sound. Along with Londinium, I have been listening to a lot of Alias... not to mention Earthling and castheadwork.
wink.gif

The Notwist is also excellent of course, but very different again as you said.

Okay, okay, that counts. No, they are not really like Massive Attack (is anyone, really?), but there is some depth and warmth to some of their records that that I think would be satisfying to a MAer. I like trip hop, but some of it sounds too cold to me.

If "Live With Me" is a taste of what's to come on the next MA album, we are all in for a serious treat.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #42 of 50
Definitely some similarities... probably part of the reason most consider that album trip hop. The main qualification is usually that the music sounds something like Massive Attack or Portishead.
340smile.gif

True enough, that is one nice track. I can only hope that Daddy G's appearance on their recent tour means that he is 'back in the band' again. He has always been a favourite of mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

...on a related note, I am listening to Karmacoma at the moment. Damn, I love these RCA 6GU7 tubes.
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #43 of 50
Nice music recommended here!!!! I would like to add "Air". And if you like you might also like 5:55, that is the album of Charlotte Gainsbourg, with the music made and played by Air.

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #44 of 50
A band that isn't really known (?) among the trip-hop crowd and rarely mentioned in these threads, but is more than worth checking out is Antimatter. Antimatter has so far released 4 albums, and first two (Saviour and Lights Out) are pristine trip-hop. Really emotional, melancholic and beautiful. Not 100% pure trip-hop though, as this band really crosses boundaries and comes from a semi-dark metal background. Still, I have had trouble finding trip-hop that I would like as much as I do like Antimatter.

Third album is closer to acoustic folk with still some trip hop influences and fourth album is Pink Floydish emotional progressive rock. All of the albums are great though.

Also, Ulver - Perdition City is an amazing album. Not exactly trip-hop, but very close. One of my all time favourites.

All the previously mentioned albums have a great recording quality as well.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IAMX better than Massive Attack? Thats a serious statement my friend. You are comparing a revolutionary, genre defining, multi faceted "band" with an extensive discography to Chriss Corner?-dont know if thats even possible.
Also, IAMX is electro-pop, not Trip Hop.

Fischerspooner and Ladytron are terrific recommendations and incredibly talented artists, but they are not Trip-Hop either.

Hence the "in my opinion". Better to me is musical enjoyment, not revolutionary or genre defining. Maybe I should have mentioned that, but I figured most would catch my drift. Massive Attack is most definitely a step ahead in pure musical quality, but that does not mean I enjoy it more than other artists. Sure I can compare an "uber band" such as Massive Attack with others, why not?

I realise that my recommendations aren't pure triphop, but I suspect most people who like trip hop will like the artists I mentioned. You can't put music in boxes, and say "I only want trip hop".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back