I listened to the ad2000 and.....
Apr 14, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 51
Instead of spending $500 on ad2000 , i bought a $110 power cord for the cd player and on the whole gives better bass , sweeter highs and retains the clear mids.
icon10.gif
The 2 power cords i bought for amp and cd player are at the cheap side , Qed was bought 1st and it is used for the amp and black rhodium super main 13 which i just bought today for the cd player. I just don't dare/want to spend too much on cable. Just a starter on powercord area.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the AD2000 needs a good matching amp to sound good. With some amps that I have, the AD2000 sounds plain bad or weird.

This is interesting. I just have a modest Headfive but feel the AD2000 sounds quite good coming out of that, or, actually, straight out of an X-Fi Xtreme soundcard (though that's not something I often need to do).

I'd be interested to know if there's a consensus best amp for these--if anything it's seemed to me though that they are not amp dependent at all.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 51
the k701 is a neutral phone of near reference quality. the ad2k, like every other AT can i've heard, is rather colored, although at times that can be rather pleasant. while the ad2k can be airy the 701 is a more spacious sounding phone. bottom line - the ATs left my house while the 701s remain.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 51
It's weird that you would say the AD2000's bass is overdone. Although the AD2000 is probably slightly warmer than neutral, the AD2000's bass is certainly not overdone, as far as I can tell--the problem most likely lies in the amp. Compared to the K701, the K701 is shriller and (consequently) airier, which I found to be fatiguing on much of my music. The AD2000's soundstage, although not as wide, is deeper than most similar level headphones (including the K701).

On a side note, my experience with the AD2000 is that the sound doesn't change much at all with burn in.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i disagree. the rs1 is not a bright headphone. if anything, it is a headphone tending toward the warm side. the presentation is forward, but this does not mean that the headphone is bright or fatiguing. the dt880 has some of these characteristics, but i have never had to remove my rs1 due to fatigue, only pain.
biggrin.gif
try to go 4 hours with those things on. your ears hurt (and i don't mean because of the sound).
rs1smile.gif

I think vcoheda hit the nail on the head here. While I don't have the RS-1, I do have the RS-1's little brother, the RS-2 and I have the same findings. Could be for me that these can's are just superb when matched with a good Singlepower amp as well. I never take them off though due to fatique however.....I have been known to take them off due to the outside of my ears hurting however
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly the issue of amp synergy should be taken into account. Most people who own the AD2000 have said it's amp-dependent (including me), but some of us appear to have varying opinions of the AD2000 and how it should sound.

Steve, did you ever try the ad2k with your rudistor amp? if so how was it?

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 51
do the AD2000 have the same angled drivers as the A900?

In regard of the A900 some people get no bass where other say it´s a headphone for bassheads... I am wondering if it´s the angled drivers that works for some and not for others?

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the AD2000 have the same angled drivers as the A900?

In regard of the A900 some people get no bass where other say it´s a headphone for bassheads... I am wondering if it´s the angled drivers that works for some and not for others?

No, the drivers are not angled in the AD2000.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, did you ever try the ad2k with your rudistor amp? if so how was it?

Several times, to write my review of the amp that's posted in the Amps forum. Not a pairing that I found particularly synergistic, as the amp did nothing special for the AD2K.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting. I just have a modest Headfive but feel the AD2000 sounds quite good coming out of that, or, actually, straight out of an X-Fi Xtreme soundcard (though that's not something I often need to do).

I'd be interested to know if there's a consensus best amp for these--if anything it's seemed to me though that they are not amp dependent at all.

No, I'm not saying you need an expensive amp. I'm only saying that to my ears, the AD2000 sounds good some some amps and doesn't sound its best with others. I bring this up because the OP's amp may be playing a significant role in his experience with the AD2000.

What's interesting to me is that you found the Headfive to be a good match with the AD2000. I didn't find my Corda HA-2 MkII SE to be a particularly good match. If the W5000 amp registry is any indication of the subjective nature of headphone/amp synergy, I doubt that there is a consensus on the best amp for the AD2000 as I'm sure many amps work well with it.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting to me is that you found the Headfive to be a good match with the AD2000. I didn't find my Corda HA-2 MkII SE to be a particularly good match. If the W5000 amp registry is any indication of the subjective nature of headphone/amp synergy, I doubt that there is a consensus on the best amp for the AD2000 as I'm sure many amps work well with it.

Unsure if it is or isn't a good match I guess. Haven't really heard the AD2000 through anything else other than straight out of my soundcard. I tend to feel amp pairings, etc., result in fairly minor differences in SQ that while significant to extended listening, aren't easily discernable for some of us unless there's other higher-end gear to A/B with and compare to. If I read definitively there was an amp or amps less than say, oh, $700 or so, that were a fantastic comparison with the AD2000 I'd be curious. It seems like the only amp I'm really sure would be a step up would be the Audio-Technica AT-HA5000 though, and I guess I'm finding myself a little short of the cash for that one...
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #30 of 51
hmm and I was already set on getting the ad2000. I was juggling between it and the k701. I'll get them anyway. How do you guys describe the ad2000 coloration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back