I listened to the ad2000 and.....
Oct 15, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In regard of the A900 some people get no bass where other say it´s a headphone for bassheads... I am wondering if it´s the angled drivers that works for some and not for others?

It's not the angles driver, it's the overall setup (player / amp) synrgy. I own A900 and I've tried it with few amps and players, and some sound just crap (much bass, unbalanced) other just perfect (iMod + Tomahawk).

I can say I love A900 with iMod + Tomahawk, but hate it with some other setups. The A900 are quite "rich" headphones and on iMod / Tomahawk - A900 - are just right and overally balanced, perhaps a bit recessed midrange (but just a bit).

What A900 wants is rather "tight" player and "tight" amp... my tight I mean rather neutral thant don't add anything from itself.

With some other setups I got... here much recessed midrange, there too much bass etc. etc.

That is why you get a lot of mixed opinions on these headphones.

On other headphones I've tried (HD600, HD595, AKG701) the differences between different amps etc. were just more subtle than on A900.

On A900 good setup makes them sound very good, bad setup (not quality bad, but syngergy-wise) makes them sound crap.

And speaking of how A900 sounds... for me it's mix of HD-595 sound signature (overall colour) with AKG701 type of stage/space (not that big in absolute terms, but very similar).

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 51
hmm, I'm really interested in a description of the ad2000s midrange coloration... sorry for the redundant post. Just trying to revive this interesting thread before I get the extra money to actually buy me one

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #34 of 51
no more posts on the ad2000? seems like the fotm status of this can ended and I have to get mine already to see if it clicks with me

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #35 of 51
I don't know what else to add to what I already wrote in my review that's stickied in the Featured Full Reviews. If there's something specific you want to know, ask away.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #36 of 51
OK, from your reviews and wmcmanus recommendation for my sonic taste, the ad2000 is the one! hehehe The things I want to narrow down are why people like nickchen can say they sound nasal. And what is the audio technica midrange coloration people keep talking about? It seems as if the k701 which was the other can I was going to get gets more praises for its midrange. What exactly do people love about the k701s midrange that the ad2ks don't have? And for one more weird comment from snufkin aka marcus of the australian headphonic forums... He prefers the ad900 because he says that the ad2000 is more technical and less emotional than the ad900... AAAHHHMMM basically just want to narrow down what that means and why the ad900 would be more emotive
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, from your reviews and wmcmanus recommendation for my sonic taste, the ad2000 is the one! hehehe The things I want to narrow down are why people like nickchen can say they sound nasal. And what is the audio technica midrange coloration people keep talking about? It seems as if the k701 which was the other can I was going to get gets more praises for its midrange. What exactly do people love about the k701s midrange that the ad2ks don't have? And for one more weird comment from snufkin aka marcus of the australian headphonic forums... He prefers the ad900 because he says that the ad2000 is more technical and less emotional than the ad900... AAAHHHMMM basically just want to narrow down what that means and why the ad900 would be more emotive
smily_headphones1.gif

That's quite a paragraph. Might I suggest some spacing, so it's easier to read?

I don't agree with nickchen or snufkin. They have their opinions, I have mine.

The K701's midrange is very good, but so is the AD2000's. The K501's midrange is also good.

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #38 of 51
I will have AD2000 within a week or so... currently own A900 (closed ones)... also owned HD600, AKG701, so I might be able to write some thoughts pretty soon....

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #39 of 51
The AD2000s are extremely sensitive / efficient - and they're fairly low impedence phones.

Though easy to drive, the precise quality of the AD2000s sound, depends on the set up (fairly high current demands like Grados), burn in and the recording.

Their upper mid coloration (or emphasis) seems to subside with more use, with the right set up, and the music selection / mix. They do seem to reveal a bad mix, much like the Grados - moreso than Senns do, which seem to be "more forgiving."

But... when all that's "right," they're one of the best.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well there's a big upper-mids hump around voices that I described in the stickied review, maybe that's what the other guy thought was nasal?

K701 mid-range is different from AD2000's. The K701 is pure, clean, crystal clear. The AD2000 is not pure, or clean, or crystal-clear. But it's oh-so-inviting and makes you melt in your chair.
smily_headphones1.gif
Since I haven't heard the AD900 I can't say anything there, though maybe just a guess that the AD2000 has the better frequency balance?

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 51
Do human voices and saxophones sound bigger for example on the ad2ks compared to the k701? or is it just the same perspective but the k701 sounds clearer?

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #44 of 51
good call. I was leaning towards them anyway because I love my music loud and the k701s with the right amp will set me back much more money. My headfive should work with the ATs for now

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #45 of 51
personally I think the ad2000s and k701s complement each other very well, neutral vs a nod toward euphonic. I would have to say I think the AD2000s are brighter than this thread might imply, so keep that in mind if you're looking for an amp to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back