I like my basso T4 but........
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

what?

100+ Head-Fier
I could use a bit more power
frown.gif

with a sansa clip-t4-sennheiser 280 pro (64ohm), i find im on 94% volume on everything (source and amp, gain on amp is on high bass boost is on (yes the clip is on 'high' volume setting) most of the time?

and its still not 'loud' its ok volume, great quality sound, but id like about 40% more volume available when i want to rock out.

id prefer to use any amp at below 50% to avoid clipping anything.

i guess i need a more powerful portable amp or more sensitive 'phones.

AD700 should be here tomorrow, ill see if they're louder.

whats a cheapish 40% more powerful portable amp then the t4?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 18
in terms of power/volume, is the d3 the only option?

gotta be a few amps out there that sound good AND have lots of power?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 18
Why use an amp below 50 percent? I prefer to have most of the volume control used, not for volume but because the less volume control in the signal path the better. Volume control position does not denote clipping. Gain can push you into clipping.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why use an amp below 50 percent? I prefer to have most of the volume control used, not for volume but because the less volume control in the signal path the better. Volume control position does not denote clipping. Gain can push you into clipping.

guess im still in teh dark about the difference between gain and volume?

either way, even with everything on 100% id still like about 40% more

power/volume/gain ???????

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guess im still in teh dark about the difference between gain and volume?

either way, even with everything on 100% id still like about 40% more

power/volume/gain ???????

Ok, maybe then for the volume you need, you do need more power. You could have a very powerful amp but without enough gain (increase in the incoming signal) it will not go very loud. Or you could have an amp that isn't very powerful with a lot of gain and it would and could clip with phones that required a lot of powerful or current or voltage. So A more power amp with a normal amount of gain with a good input signal of about 2 volts, should get you where you want.. . . maybe.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 18
Wow. I tried my HD 650 the other night with my little Clip/T4 combo. It sounded very good, and better than I expected...no problem with volume but then again I was listening to early jazz so I wasn't trying to rock out. I used full volume on the Clip with high gain/no bass boost on the T4.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 18
Yeah, I have used the HD650's and all of my phones with the T4. No problem powering them and in fact it sounded very good. I can play music pretty loud but I guess there is a point where it wouldn't have enough power if you kept getting is louder and louder, which is easy to do with headphones but then you have to consider your ears.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 18
maybe its because my 280s are 64 ohm? perhaps my ad700 that arrive today will be louder as they are more efficient?

im 78% satisfied with the volume, would just love an extra 32% for those tracks i want to get deep into.

ive had some pms about selling the t4 but im in no hurry, its a great amp

no question about the sq of the t4, it sounds great.

ill probably pick up a cmoy-BB or some other 'louder' amp and see if i can hang?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes it is all about experimentation at times. As obvious, I have a few amps, and that does make it fun. In the mood for a slightly different flavor and you pick that amp that does the job for you.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Yes it is all about experimentation at times. As obvious, I have a few amps, and that does make it fun. In the mood for a slightly different flavor and you pick that amp that does the job for you.

actually i disagree with you there, i believe 'ideally' a system should be able to play all genres equally well.

no one has 4 different home systems, 1 for rock, 1 for techno etc

so im hoping to find a headphone combo of 1 set of 'phones, 1 amp, and 1 source that will work for all genres of music for me.

i believe that is possible, in fact, if the t4 were a little more powerful id be done..........

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Ok, on that I agree. I guess what I am saying is that "I" enjoy having a few different amps for the difference they may impart. Frankly, anything in the audio signal is going to have some sort of signature but a good amp is good with any type of music. Having built tube equipment and some solid state, I would want nothing else but it is still fun for me to have different amps for a slightly different sound, sometimes even with the same music. This is also part of the enjoyment of swapping tubes or opamps, as the circuit may allow.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Ok, on that I agree. I guess what I am saying is that "I" enjoy having a few different amps for the difference they may impart. Frankly, anything in the audio signal is going to have some sort of signature but a good amp is good with any type of music. Having built tube equipment and some solid state, I would want nothing else but it is still fun for me to have different amps for a slightly different sound, sometimes even with the same music. This is also part of the enjoyment of swapping tubes or opamps, as the circuit may allow.

i know what your saying but,

i believe good recordings use good artists, and good artists have very specific skills/sounds/techniques/instruments that they have developed over much time.

ideally i want to hear ONLY the intended sound. and i want to hear it as cleanly as possible.

im new to quality headphone listening, but something i have thought in the last few weeks is that headphones are the only way i know to get my ear right next to a guitar string while it is being played.

you cant do that live, or on a home / car stereo.

headphones allow me to get EVEN closer to the musicians intended playing.

i dont want anything other then to hear how long the fingernails were on the day or recording, the exact strings used, and the engineer coughing in teh background
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know what your saying but,

i believe good recordings use good artists, and good artists have very specific skills/sounds/techniques/instruments that they have developed over much time.

ideally i want to hear ONLY the intended sound. and i want to hear it as cleanly as possible.

im new to quality headphone listening, but something i have thought in the last few weeks is that headphones are the only way i know to get my ear right next to a guitar string while it is being played.

you cant do that live, or on a home / car stereo.

headphones allow me to get EVEN closer to the musicians intended playing.

i dont want anything other then to hear how long the fingernails were on the day or recording, the exact strings used, and the engineer coughing in teh background
biggrin.gif

That's never going to happen. The whole process before you can even plug a headphone in and listen has taken the original performance through a lot of equipment all adding it's character to the final product. Only way you are going to get what you want is to be present at the recording venue and listen live. And for electronic music there is no orignal sound to get close to in the first place so the whole purpose of a replay rig must be to get a sound that you like to listen to no matter what the original sound was or what others might think of the sound you like (unless you are in this from a scientifical angle rather the a "for pleasure" angle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back