I like my basso T4 but........
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's never going to happen. The whole process before you can even plug a headphone in and listen has taken the original performance through a lot of equipment all adding it's character to the final product. Only way you are going to get what you want is to be present at the recording venue and listen live. And for electronic music there is no orignal sound to get close to in the first place so the whole purpose of a replay rig must be to get a sound that you like to listen to no matter what the original sound was or what others might think of the sound you like (unless you are in this from a scientifical angle rather the a "for pleasure" angle).

some recording studios deliberately use as few components between the mic and the recording media, some have just the wire.

good electronic music is recorded by artists that know their electronic instruments intimately, so there is a clearly defined and definite 'original sound'

imo/e.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 18
Our recording technology is equally radical. We design and build, or custom-modify, all of our electronics from microphones to tape recorders to wires. All must meet standards well beyond commercial state-of-the-art. We record live to two-track analog, transfer to digital at a rate 100 times faster than the CD standard, and use no add-on EQ, reverb or noise reduction electronics. Our recordings are made with only 2 to 4 microphones and no cables longer than 20 feet. The resulting sound has startling, "in-the-room" clarity, brilliance, spaciousness and dynamics.

Mapleshade Records - About Us

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 18
Yes, a number of people here realize this. I have worked with designers and built my own equipment for some time. I know about all the different minimalist methods, well many, and agree but even a straight wire will have a signature. We can debate back and forth but it all influences the sound in one way or another.

A recording venue can and often does sound different from day to day just due to humidity, electrical conditions (even when quality filtration is used and yes, I have built these also). So with all the variables, having a couple of different amp to dial in "the days" sound, to me works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back