I KNEW You Guys were Crazy
Aug 13, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h
Look, I'm from Germany - I don't have any of your examples in my every-day language use.
wink.gif

And you can be sure that I call things by their real names.

Ah, I failed to notice where you're from... my bad... you know we silly Americans think everything is centered here :wink:

Quote:

A "walkman", that's not from Sony, is just a "portable cassette player".

Sorry, but it *is* a Sony brand name... it just became part of everyday language because of the way Sony invented and dominated that particular market.

Quote:

And you can be sure that I call things by their real names.

Better stop saying "walkman" then... unless it's a Sony :wink:

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Sorry, but it *is* a Sony brand name... it just became part of everyday language because of the way Sony invented and dominated that particular market...
Better stop saying "walkman" then... unless it's a Sony :wink:

Little misunderstanding here!
Read it again, what i meant is that every portable casette player that's actually not a Sony IS just a "portable casette player" - not a "walkman" (unless it's a Sony).
I did not mean that "walkman" is NOT a brand of Sony.
You get the point.
wink.gif

Maybe it's my fault, i just expresed myself in a (kind of) "german" way. You have to excuse me, english is not my native language.
smily_headphones1.gif

m00h (who has music playin' in his brain at the moment...and it's gooooooood...)

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 21
This phenomenon isn't exclusive to music. It happens with any long exposure to repetitive sounds. When's the last time you've heard waves after spending all day at a relatively remote beach? I've even heard birds from my water faucet after playing golf all day.

I don't know why this Dr. Aziz has singled out music or feels that this is something dangerous. A nap has always cured my "hallucinations" and I don't think that I'll be cutting back on golf or going to the beach just to keep it from happening again. And those poor dear souls that perform full-time in an orchestra or band must be complete lunatics by now. Ummm, ya Doc...whatever you say.

Aug 14, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 21
the article is substantially pointless because it is written under the assumption that there is such a thing as objective music. afterall there is such a genre as noise, not to mention an entire popular movement two generations ago led by such admired artists (another loose term) as johnny cage. what is noise in a quiet office room and what is music is not up to some person with cheap writing to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back