I KNEW You Guys were Crazy
Aug 13, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 21
HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Here I thought I was alone in my insanity. Yes this happens to me all the time. Actually quite relaxing for me though. After all what good is your music if you can't enjoy it even when it's not there?

Kind of an odd sensation though. Also kind of odd that there are related links to song downloads and comparing prices for mp3 players.

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 21
That was interesting. I guess this means that we all need to listen to our IEMs at work constantly to keep from going insane...tell that to your boss.
etysmile.gif

__________________________________________________ __________
"sound hallucinations occur when people move from a stimulusrich environment to one with few auditory stimuli - for instance, from using an iPod on the Tube to entering a quiet office.

With no sound via the ears, the brain generates random impulses it interprets to be sound. It then matches these to memories of music and a song begins in the head. This may explain why Beethoven was able to compose after going deaf."

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 21
I too get this all the time. It's different than just getting a song stuck in your head. You can actually hear the song as if it were paying. After extreamly eventful days where I'm still wound up at bed time, I can hear what sounds like a hundred murmurs in a very crouded room. I can't hear words just the sound of many voices. Well I do hear some words like "buy the new Shure E500's" and "upgrade your cables". But I shut them up by stabbing a #2 pencil in my ear.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

..exposure to music is causing more cases of musical hallucination, where a song "plays" constantly in the head.

"People find they can't sleep and can't think properly

happens on a quite regular base here now and then but I do not consider this as a disease really

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 21
Sometimes people just seem very desperate when they want to have an article printed in a magazine.
Listening to music at high levels or being subject to loud noise is always bad. Nobody needs to warn us about it.
What do they ask for next, a big warning on every DAP printed in bold letters?

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 21
Phew.
I was concerned, but now I am really glad that I don't have an iPod but a Creative.
rolleyes.gif

I really hate PPL that say "iPod" to every kind of MP3-Players.
I mean you don't call a "car" a "Toyota" just because there are so many out there.

Seriously, I suffer from this, too. The last song I've heard before going to bed keeps on playing and playing, until I don't know the text...but then it starts from the beginning.
tongue.gif

m00h

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h
Phew.
I was concerned, but now I am really glad that I don't have an iPod but a Creative.
rolleyes.gif

I really hate PPL that say "iPod" to every kind of MP3-Players.
I mean you don't call a "car" a "Toyota" just because there are so many out there.

It happened with "walkman". Don't you use "xerox machine" and "kleenex" as generic names for categories of items? And "fridge" came about as a shortening of "Frigidaire" (not "refrigerator"). In the UK, they seem to call all vacuum cleaners "hoovers"; they don't vacuum the carpet, they hoover it. Somebody told me that many older Russians call all trucks "studebakers" because of all the trucks we shipped them during WW2 (I don't know if that's really true.)

Aug 13, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Nothing new here. It's called a "brain virus". Certain TV-show themes and commercial jingles are the worst offenders.... (and they know it)
eggosmile.gif

Paul

Ew, like that stupid Pepsi song.

Aug 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
It happened with "walkman". Don't you use "xerox machine" and "kleenex" as generic names for categories of items? And "fridge" came about as a shortening of "Frigidaire" (not "refrigerator"). In the UK, they seem to call all vacuum cleaners "hoovers"; they don't vacuum the carpet, they hoover it. Somebody told me that many older Russians call all trucks "studebakers" because of all the trucks we shipped them during WW2 (I don't know if that's really true.)

Look, I'm from Germany - I don't have any of your examples in my every-day language use.
wink.gif

And you can be sure that I call things by their real names.
A "walkman", that's not from Sony, is just a "portable cassette player".
I Germany there is a famous example: people tend to say "tempo" instead of "handkerchief" just because it's a big and well regarged brand.
I could jump on the ceiling every time I hear that...
rolleyes.gif

m00h

Aug 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 21
don't forget the possibility of food hallucination since we're exposed to food 3 times a day....

Aug 13, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 21
The Richard X Remix mashup of "Abide With Me" is the ****TAKE!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 21
right. I totally don't consider it a disease.. but I'm not really 'afflicted'. Only happens when I'm too sleepy to be up, and then it's enjoyable. I'm just surprised that it's actually a condition! I thought it was normal.

That's just brand name recognition at work. In a lot of cases, those brands are so worked into the vernacular that I think I would be pained to call things by their real names i.e. facial tissues, adhesive stripes, pop or soda (instead of 'coke'. 'pop' sounds so prickishly northern to me - no offense, yanks.
wink.gif
), cassette tape player, etc. Didn't know the etymological root of 'fridge' though. I had always assumed it was shortened from refridgerator...

Hey, what do we call Kool-aid when it's not Kool-aid?... Is 'Cool-aid' the generic term? Maybe it's like Coolade (you see? The 'ade' part comes form lemonade type beverages. the 'cool' part denotes that it's utterly artificial.) maybe it's just drink? drink mix? I don't know even know if the stuff has a name apart from the brand identity...
("what is this 'juice'? I want some 'drink'!")

Anyways, calling all mp3 players iPods sounds dumb to me (I guess I'm stuck up enough to take offense still. No offense, iPod owners. I hear they're finally very nice this generation and with some mods
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
). Maybe it's just more apparent since we're in on the ground floor on this one.

(actually, I bet I would totally have an iPod if I had the disposable income for one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back