I just paid for my first pair of serious head phones now I need to know if i made the right call. Do i need an amp? DT990 pro 250
Sep 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

timbo1130

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone I have been reading this forum for a good long while now but just now got on here to get some feed back on my first major head phone purchase. I have always enjoyed listening to music and watching movies with great sound and I am also a PC gamer although I do not spend as much of my free time with this as I once did in any event I will be using my new headphones frequently for long periods of time as I live in an apartment now and I will be using them for watching TV shows movies listening to music and playing games I can say that music and gaming are my primary focus but big booms in games and in action movies are similar right? In general I just need a good hard working headphone. I chose the dt 990 due to the improved bass compared to the other set of cans I was considering the Sennheiser hd 598. I also understand these are very comfortable for extended periods of use which is important.  As far as music I listen to a lot of 90's and newer rock Chevelle and breaking benjamin are two bands i enjoy. I know the fact that the phones i have chosen are 250 ohm might be an issue if left unamped. I dont want to spend a huge amount of money but I don't want to buy junk. If it could be portable that would be nice but even if portable I would want it to be able to be powered via usb or a wall plug. Since I will be using them mostly at my computer if there is an amplified sound card that would serve me better than a portable hp amp that's fine any suggestions would help. i also wanted to ask I paid $163 for the DT 990 pro 250 ohm. Is that a good price oh and that is us dollars.

Thanks and if I didn't give enough information or ran on too long I apologize in advance.  

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 4
A good combo/value for PC gaming/movies/music and is good at driving 250-Ohm headphones.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used around $60.
If your a hardcore FPS gamer, the Sound Blaster Titanium (non-HD) sound card, used around $50.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 4
  I appreciate the quick reply. Do you think i made a good choice on the head phones I chose or would there have been a better choice?

As long as you have a decent headphone amplifier to drive them, the DT990 are fine.
A $27 Fiio E6 at max volume, can drive the 250-Ohm DT990s.
A $60 Fiio E11 can drive 250-Ohm headphone to a decent loudness, with the volume knob at around 40%
The DT990s are full bass & full treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
My DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphone are my preferred open headphone for watching Blu-ray movies (and Cable TV action movies, or just regular TV, or Cable TV music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back