I just ordered ESW9s!
Jan 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Another totally pointless post, really. But I'm brimming over with excitement and joy. Over a pair of headphones. Possibly says something bad about me, but I am choosing not to ruminate on it.

I blame Rednamalas1.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 48
Red poisoned me with AD2K
frown.gif

AD2K, ESW10, IE8... Open can, close portable or IEM. Which i gonna buy...

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 48
Humm im contemplating it as well i love the Wood and form factor... but i doubt it would be as much different to mine Pro 750 maybe worser i dont know. Thus my only other option is the Alessandro MS-2 :p for the SAME price in australia BTW.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 48
Oi oi what happen to the i heart k701
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
AP

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another totally pointless post, really. But I'm brimming over with excitement and joy. Over a pair of headphones. Possibly says something bad about me, but I am choosing not to ruminate on it.

I blame Rednamalas1.

emo.

Quote:

LOL. Don't you hate the guy, right now? He's online, and should be checking into this thread soon enough.

damn straight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Humm im contemplating it as well i love the Wood and form factor... but i doubt it would be as much different to mine Pro 750 maybe worser i dont know. Thus my only other option is the Alessandro MS-2 :p for the SAME price in australia BTW.

ESW9 > Pro 750 by a large margin. But then again, I really, really don't like untrasone's house sound.

Quote:

That's a different category of headphones. My supra-aural journey might be over, but my full-sized one has just begun!

Sell D1001, as you won't be needing them.
Oh, and don't bother with K701 until you have decent source and home amp. Say.. a dynalo (gilmore lite) or gilmore lite at the very least.

For classical though, K501 over K701. K701 just doesn't have that magic mids of AKGs.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 48
good move! I love ESW9's sound a lot esp. when traveling by bus. Its sound is smooth and warm which is really good for long period listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell D1001, as you won't be needing them.
Oh, and don't bother with K701 until you have decent source and home amp. Say.. a dynalo (gilmore lite) or gilmore lite at the very least.

For classical though, K501 over K701. K701 just doesn't have that magic mids of AKGs.

Whoa! Hold those horses, Red. The full-sized upgrade won't be for a while yet. I hope. I'll still want my D1001s for 8-hour sessions, surely. Or for my girlfriend. Whichever.
biggrin.gif
K501s, eh? Must give those a listen. Not as pretty though...yes yes, I'm superficial. Why do you think I don't own a pair of AD700s?

By the way, should I burn ESW9 in before listening to them? Assuming one believes in the effectiveness of burn in, etc.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 48
Don't worry about burn-in just enjoy them. If they get noticeably better then you all to the good. But don't fail to enjoy the music.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 48
Jan 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comments on this post?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/qu...3/#post5351429

Well in regards to your post, that has to do with a matter of preference rather than listening to the bare quality. You put something in your mouth, you know whether it's still good to eat or it's gone bad. That's what it is for me with headphones when I initially try them. Not whether I like the "taste" or not.

Example, in matters of ice cream, you put it in your mouth, expecting a soft, cold texture that would melt in your mouth. If it doesn't have that "feeling", you know it shouldn't be called ice cream to begin with. If it does have that feeling, then you start evaluating the taste.

For the ESW9, in the "ice cream" analogy, I was expecting to feel "ice cream" in my "mouth" but all I got was a "milky, watery, like melted ice cream feel". It just wasn't.. Ice cream. You can call it ice cream because it's made from the same ingredients, went through the same process of being made into ice cream, but you also can't call it ice cream because it doesn't have the "ice cream" feel. In this case, just because it's a pair of "headphones" from "Audio-Technica" doesn't mean it would sound good. At all.

Flame suit on. I expect to hear some vile words from AT fanboys.
popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 48
LOL. To be perfectly honest, this particular purchase was driven more by the wood-and-leather (does that sound kinky?) than the ESW9's alleged sonic characteristics. That said, reviews here implied that they'd complement my darker cans well, do classical better than anything I currently have, etc. So of course, that...made justifying buying a pair of ~NZD570 headphones easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back