I just discovered something incredibly important with the Westone 3...
Dec 10, 2008 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I know nobody hunts mules, so I think I'm safe to say this:

Let the Westone 3 rest in your ear, don't even make a real effort to push it in your ear canal.

Geez, the first few hours of having them, I kept trying to shove them into my ears, and it always sounded like utter crap.

Now, the bass is still strong but doesn't sound extremely blanketed, and the treble is more Grado-like, and the mids are not like a few hours ago; muffled and SA6-like (aka "out of tune").

I will admit that the bass still likes to be punchy and rather prominent, but now it rarely wants to wash over the whole spectrum like it used to.

This is why I hate (universal) IEMs; fit and distance to the ear are up to you to figure out, and even then, it still may not work out for you.
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know nobody hunts mules, so I think I'm safe to say this:

Let the Westone 3 rest in your ear, don't even make a real effort to push it in your ear canal.

Geez, the first few hours of having them, I kept trying to shove them into my ears, and it always sounded like utter crap.

Now, the bass is still strong but doesn't sound extremely blanketed, and the treble is more Grado-like, and the mids are not like a few hours ago; muffled and SA6-like (aka "out of tune").

I will admit that the bass still likes to be punchy and rather prominent, but now it rarely wants to wash over the whole spectrum like it used to.

This is why I hate (universal) IEMs; fit and distance to the ear are up to you to figure out, and even then, it still may not work out for you.
frown.gif

What tips are you using?

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips are you using?

I am using the...hold on...those flimsy gray tips, because they conform to the ear canal better; I figure that reasoning is common sense.
tongue.gif

In terms of size, I'm using the Medium ones, because they are small enough to be comfortable, yet large enough to block my ear canal for the seal.
ph34r.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean those gray shure like soft flex tips?

Hold on, I gotta Google pics of them to be sure.

Yeah, the ones I'm talking about are the ones you are inquiring about.
tongue.gif

For clarification of what I'm hearing in general now, the percussion is pretty much recessed across every song I tried. Bugs the heck out of me, but I may actually be able to live with it this time.
ph34r.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, interesting point Mule.

Using the exact same tips now, and I am usually a 'pusher in' type guy and trying them relaxed and not a huuuge difference for me. But still!

Well, maybe part of my problem was that I was trying to push them in like they were an Etymotic ER4/S at first.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 55
I have tried all of the tips provided in the Westone 3 package which most if not all gave me minor comfort issues...but when I placed the Klipsch Image X10 Silicon tips on, mmm very comfy.

Not only do I find the comfort to be best, but the isolation is fantastic.

Man, I never thought I would find another comfy IEM like the Klipsch X10. It looks like I am not missing out any comfort with the Westone 3 at all after I used the Klipsch X10.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried all of the tips provided in the Westone 3 package which most if not all gave me minor comfort issues...but when I placed the Klipsch Image X10 Silicon tips on, mmm very comfy.

Not only do I find the comfort to be best, but the isolation is fantastic.

Man, I never thought I would find another comfy IEM like the Klipsch X10. It looks like I am not missing out any comfort with the Westone 3 at all after I used the Klipsch X10.

Which Klipsch gel specifically? And has the sound changed?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 55
Hmmm. I'll try this and report back. By the way, the more I go back and forth between the two I'd say W3 DOES trounce UM2. Clarity, extension and soundstage. I need more time with W3.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Klipsch gel specifically? And has the sound changed?

eartips-white.jpg

The second one (from the left)

As for the sound, they sound great. I think the treble settled down a little bit and the bass is still very tight and punchy. Has a very warm sound signature in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back