I just discovered something incredibly important with the Westone 3...
Dec 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression a tight seal is best. Sealing the ear, means less work for the driver, and therefore tighter control of the diaphragms.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. :/

me too. but even with something like CX300, i do believe large sleeves are just that tiny bit too large for me, while the medium ones slightly too small... or maybe i just have funny ears. anyway i can't be bothered with all that, just slap some cans over them. much better.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let the Westone 3 rest in your ear, don't even make a real effort to push it in your ear canal.

That's stupid. I mean, it's cool that you found something that works for you, but... If I had to use a pair of IEMs that way, where it could fall out of my ear so easily, I'd return it. They're IN ear monitors, not REST in your ear monitors.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EQ should be "off" not "flat". Not sure where it says that. I'll make that correction if someone misstated that on our site or literature.

Powderhound - you could be right and I am mixing the terms. In any event;

On the Ipods, "flat" and "off" are virtually the same thing soundwise. I detect virtually no change. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

By the way...what is suppose to be the difference?

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #49 of 55
what is the best way to cut the triflanges? They can only be cut once so I want to do it proper...

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the Ipods, "flat" and "off" are virtually the same thing soundwise. I detect virtually no change. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

They sound different to me. The 'off' seems clearer and more neutral, while the 'flat' seems to add a little warmth and fullness. It's quite subtle, but still noticeable.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the best way to cut the triflanges? They can only be cut once so I want to do it proper...

In my case first cut the base/stalk about 1 mm shorter and listen, then do it again as needed, where mine needed about 3 mm off the stalk. If you have big ear canals you could take off some of the tip (small flange) instead to make it a bi-flange, but in my case the stalk was too long and the IEM wouldn't tuck into my ear without shortening it. Likewise, with very small ear canals you could take off part of the biggest flange by going around in a circle to take off the flange part without getting too short on the stalk. Then you could work on the stalk length if needed.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case first cut the base/stalk about 1 mm shorter and listen, then do it again as needed, where mine needed about 3 mm off the stalk. If you have big ear canals you could take off some of the tip (small flange) instead to make it a bi-flange, but in my case the stalk was too long and the IEM wouldn't tuck into my ear without shortening it. Likewise, with very small ear canals you could take off part of the biggest flange by going around in a circle to take off the flange part without getting too short on the stalk. Then you could work on the stalk length if needed.

I wish I read this before I cut my flange tips.
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was curious too and the answer from Apple is:

iPod EQ settings

EQ - Off

iPod does not use the equalizer. Songs play as they were encoded.
Songs that have been assigned an equalizer preset in iTunes do not play with that setting.

EQ - Flat

Songs without an equalizer preset assigned to them in iTunes play as they were encoded (same as EQ - Off).
Songs that have been assigned an equalizer preset in iTunes play with that setting.

May 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #55 of 55
New Hear at Head Fi, and I've been using these W3's for a month now, and have gone through some awesome sound changes. I to use to use the EQ all the time with my Shures, but without a doubt Flat EQ with my nano 4 and Long Big Comply P tips, my sound has been well balanced with a nice tight deep bass, mids that stand out superbly and just the right amount of highs that have no siblance Had to wean myself off the EQ for days, and it is so much better flat. All genres, from Mudvayne, to Classical Piano and Jazz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back