I just can't get either asio or kernel streaming to work on winamp and foobar
Apr 22, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 39
Hmm...

I'm not sure which is best out of ASIO or KS...

In terms of DSP latency, KS gets it - just, with 0ms, whereas ASIO floats around 0-7ms... as to sound quality... way too close to call... then again, i'm using my CSW speakers out of the digital output of an SBLive, so i'm sure all the anti SB crowd here will tell me I won't notice any difference anyway
wink.gif

Regardless, I like the sound quality that I get generally speaking out of Foobar and my speakers... so it can't all be bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

In terms of DSP latency, KS gets it - just, with 0ms, whereas ASIO floats around 0-7ms... as to sound quality... way too close to call... then again, i'm using my CSW speakers out of the digital output of an SBLive, so i'm sure all the anti SB crowd here will tell me I won't notice any difference anyway
wink.gif

Regardless, I like the sound quality that I get generally speaking out of Foobar and my speakers... so it can't all be bad
smily_headphones1.gif

As long as you never try a better sound card, it will keep sounding good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I know both KS and ASIO are only ways to bypass the windows mixer and write the data raw to the outputs, so both should be identical in terms of quality.

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
As long as you never try a better sound card, it will keep sounding good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol!

Okay... I throw down a challenge, to educate me with this sound card malarky... If someone can give me info on a soundcard that is available worldwide (before people chime in with the old chestnut of TBSC) that is significantly better than the SBLive... AND[/i] has a digital output (NOT optical, but phono) so that I can still use my speakers for gaming and so forth... then i'll bite, and post back my impressions...

That being said, I have an nforce2 mobo, so I could even potentially use the onboard stuff, but ever since having an SiS setup on an old mobo, i've been severely put off by onboard gizmos and gadgets.

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 39
Forgive me for asking this stupid question: I got a Toshiba Satellite 1405-S171 notebook computer and I've got Foobar2000 0.81 installed. I don't have any external sound card. I'm just using the headphone jack and the internal sound card. Can I use this ASIO thingie? What does it do? Does it bypass the internal sound card and feed a precise digital signal through a soundcard that then shoots the sound out to headphones or speakers?
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
1. Can I use this ASIO thingie?
2. What does it do?
3. Does it bypass the internal sound card and feed a precise digital signal through a soundcard that then shoots the sound out to headphones or speakers?
confused.gif

1. No you most likely can not use this "ASIO thingie".
2. It only bypasses the windows mixer which I guess fiddles a little with the sound, probably nothing you will notice on a laptop soundcard.
3. No it does not bypass your soundcard.

Apr 23, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Can anyone tell me where to get the ASIO plug-in for foobar and tell me the steps to install it in foobar?

Click on this link and download the DLL version of ASIO plugin...

Once downloaded, extract all of the files into the foobar/components directory within Program Files (within the original file structure of the download)... and then, its just a matter of opening up Foobar, and configuring it... Your playback settings have to be specific to your card, so if its 32bit max, you can't run it at 64bit interpolation or anything (but the warning box advises you of all issues anyway)

Have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #24 of 39
Hello:

I downloaded the ASIO plug-in and extracted it into the Components file within the foobar folder.

When I attempt to open foobar, I get the following error message:

ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_output_asio(dll).dll, reason: Multiple copies of DLL with the same file name found.
ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_output_asio(dll).dll, reason: Multiple copies of DLL with the same file name found.

Opening the components preference panel within foobar reveals the following:

under the libraries that failed to load there are 3 copies of "foobar_output_asio(dll).dll"

How do I correct this?

Also, in addition to foobar, I have iTunes and Musicmatch installed on my computer and my soundcard is an M-Audio Revolution (whose control panel has an ASIO monitoring option). If I enable monitoring, will I get ASIO output with Musicmatch and iTunes?

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 39
There maybe multiple DLLs based on the compiles for feature set of your CPU, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3. choose which you have.

The program has to support ASIO output to use it.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
Hello:

I downloaded the ASIO plug-in and extracted it into the Components file within the foobar folder.

When I attempt to open foobar, I get the following error message:

Opening the components preference panel within foobar reveals the following:

under the libraries that failed to load there are 3 copies of "foobar_output_asio(dll).dll"

How do I correct this?

Also, in addition to foobar, I have iTunes and Musicmatch installed on my computer and my soundcard is an M-Audio Revolution (whose control panel has an ASIO monitoring option). If I enable monitoring, will I get ASIO output with Musicmatch and iTunes?

I'm guessing the problem is "Multiple copies of DLL with the same file name found."
biggrin.gif

You should only have ONE foo_output_asio(dll).dll file in your components folder.

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #27 of 39
Hmm...

Unusual... when I installed this, as mentioned up above, i literally just dumped the whole zip file (obviously when uncompressed) into the components folder, whilst retaining its original file structure, and foobar did all the rest.

Is that what you did too mshan?

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #28 of 39
The older versions had 1 DLL per ZIP for a certain compile. Then latest version has all compiles in 1 ZIP file which would give you multiple copies.

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 39
You shouldn't unzip the whole file. choose ONE DLL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back