I just can't get either asio or kernel streaming to work on winamp and foobar
Apr 21, 2004 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Bayerdynamic

New Head-Fier
Hi,
call me incompetent but I just can't get either Asio or Kernel Streaming to work on foobar or winamp.
I download the files from this one japanese site where everybody downloads from. Then I opened the zip archive, then went to the folder "bin" then there are several options: "normal", "SSE", "SSE2", "SSE3". Well I just went with normal and extracted the asio-dll file into foobar (same applies for winamp though I used a different .dll for winamp).
Foobar just says:
ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : failed in initialization of ASIO driver.

winamp just doesnt play the file. When I use KS on winamp, it simply crashes.

I didn't expect KS to work but it's weird that I can't get Asio to work on neither programm either.
Thanks for your help.

Edit: btw what are the SSE-thingies for anyway?

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 39
First, SSE is a processor instruction set. Pentium 4 especially has a ton of different ones. So the files have been optimized for a certain instruction set, ergo, it'll run faster if you match it up to your CPU.

As for ASIO not working, I'd guess it's because your sample rate isn't matched. On my SB Live!, I had to resample Foobar to 48KHz before ASIO would run. As for Kernel Streaming, I never had a problem. It does require 2K/XP, AFAIK, however.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 39
Bayerdynamic, what soundcard do you have?

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 39
Most likely you don't have KS set up correctly to work with your sound chip. ASIO actually has to be supported by the card/chip in order to work and needs its own driver. Does your mobo spec actually say it supports ASIO?

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 39
Only pro cards have ASIO drivers. I've never heard of an onboard with them.

So you're going to have to try foobar with KS. winamp KS sucks as there's no configuration at all.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 39
Well, KS doesn't work either. I got the foobar with integrated KS and when I try using KS it says ERROR (foo_out_ks) : KS output error: error opening device. And as said, winamp simply crashes.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

Not so. The SB Live! (and Audigy, or really, any card with the EMU10k1 or EMU10k2 chip) can use the wonderful kX Drivers, which enable full ASIO support. And I wouldn't call Live! or Audigys 'pro cards'
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayerdynamic
For the time being I only have a onboard chip: Realtek ACL650 6Ch

Terribly sorry, but methinks you're out of luck. I did some Googling, and couldn't find anything about that chip supporting ASIO. Seems like you need a new soundcard. I don't know if you could get one in Germany, but the Chaintech AV-710 has gotten some pretty good reviews around here, and for $24 shipped from Newegg, you can't beat that. It's based on the Envy24PT chip, and uses the Wolfson WM8728 DAC for 2-channel output. Lovely sound, so people say. It's also got a 24 bit/192 KHz sampling rate, and SPDIF out.

Anyway, it sold me. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I don't know if you could get one in Germany, but the Chaintech AV-710 has gotten some pretty good reviews around here, and for $24 shipped from Newegg, you can't beat that. It's based on the Envy24PT chip, and uses the Wolfson WM8728 DAC for 2-channel output. Lovely sound, so people say. It's also got a 24 bit/192 KHz sampling rate, and SPDIF out.

Anyway, it sold me. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd love to get my hands on one of these Chaintech soundcards. Too bad, Newegg doesn't ship internationally. I hope some German stores will have them in stock in the near future.
By the way, my old onboard soundcard (elitegroup k75sa mainboard) supported KS.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 39
Stephonovich said:
Not so. The SB Live! (and Audigy, or really, any card with the EMU10k1 or EMU10k2 chip) can use the wonderful kX Drivers, which enable full ASIO support. And I wouldn't call Live! or Audigys 'pro cards'
biggrin.gif
QUOTE]

They are the exception to the rule as some 3rd party made the drivers.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayerdynamic
For the time being I only have a onboard chip: Realtek ACL650 6Ch

And I use Win 2k

What motherboard do you have?

Does it use the ALC650 codec by itself or is it a SoundStorm enabled motherboard.

If it is a nForce motherboard with SoundStorm then you should have no problems using ASIO output with the ASIO drivers that comes with the motherboard. Just remember to resample to 48kHz.

If your motherboard uses the ALC650 codec by itself then you probably are out of luck.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

All nForce motherboards with SoundStorm comes with ASIO drivers.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
How do I enable ASIO in Soundstorm (I have an Asus A7N8X v2 Deluxe mobo)?

asio.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 39
saint.panda, there's always eBay. I couldn't find any on ebay.de, but the main site always has quite a few up. You'll pay a bit more, (~$35 with shipping) but a lot of sellers will ship worldwide, so at least it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back