I just brought a headphone from a fellow head-fier here...but
Feb 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
...it freaking smells.
mad.gif

The smell is quite strong and is very irritating. It's not a disgusting smell, it smells like either body lotion/hair gel/spray or body fragrance. Or it could just be body odor.

The smell is throughout the whole headphone, even the cable and the plug. I've been cleaning it with anti-bacterial wipes as well as leaving it by the window but the smell is still there....it's so bad that it's really preventing me from enjoying my new headphone.

What should I do???
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 80
Have you tried Fabreeze? That stuff seems to cut through just about everything.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by erd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it a HD650? I had one that smells so bad I had to resell it cheap.

Nope, it's not the HD650. I feel like I might have to do that though....quite sad really
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 80
It is usually shampoo scent

keep in mind that replacement pads are usually rather cheap

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by roger_s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Fabreeze? That stuff seems to cut through just about everything.

2x that stuff works like magic

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 80
If I were the buyer here I'd be asking for a refund. Ground-in smells, if you do not want them are not acceptable, it doesn't matter what the smell is. A characteristic which you do not like is a flaw.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is usually shampoo scent

keep in mind that replacement pads are usually rather cheap

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEhkolite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try replacing the fabric parts, depending on the model.

The smell is throughout the whole headphone, even the cable and the plug. I doubt replacing the pads or headbands will eliminate the smell.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were the buyer here I'd be asking for a refund.

Assuming you're the seller: If you were unknown of your own smell, would you take it back?

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 80
Put a half a bottle of febreeze on them and put them in your car with the windows rolled down about an inch and leave them there until it gets cold (assuming ya live where its cold) If it still smells terrible I'd ask for a refund.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reminds me of Seinfeld's 'Smelly Car' episode
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought the same thing...amazing how many things in life bring you back to Seinfeld?

I hope there wasn't a "poppy" stain on the ear pads. Sorry, I couldn't control myself.

Seriously, I would at least contact the seller and see if he/she will help you out. Good luck!

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 80
I'm really glad that I sprung for the extea $50 or $75 for new phones. A good friend lent me his HD580's to try out and warned me that the pads were geting nasty. And they are.

The new ones are so nice.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the same thing...amazing how many things in life bring you back to Seinfeld?

really.

one other serious suggestion to the OP - go to a pet store and get a bottle of their natual odor remover that has natural enzymes in it. It works on a host of things and is really effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back