Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!!!!!

this.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #33 of 80
I've read other threads i've about smelly headphones, another reason to buy new
biggrin.gif
I'd ask for a refund and pay out of my own pocket for the shipping :/

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 80
OP, if you are keeping the cans then get a plastic container large enough so the cans can fit in and you can still close the lid. Get a box of arm and hammer baking soda, open it and place inside the container w/ the smelly cans and close the lid. Allow to sit for a week without disturbing/moving since you do not want the powder to get all over the can. This should work, if not return and ask for your money back including your cost of shipping the unit back.

eb86e486-fc3a-4d23-970a-bbd5a414703b.png

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #35 of 80
...but how does the smell affect the sound?

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #37 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but how does the smell affect the sound?

If the smell is strong some of your attention will probably be diverted to it and the listening experience will certainly not be as pleasant.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well....strangely enough, the box you sent to me also had that same smell...certainly you don't wear the box so it's strange to see why the box would also smell.

LOL! No, he doesn't wear the box but after this he may be wearing something over his head!

This is all pretty ridiculous. The only possibility I can think of is that he's smoking very strong cigars (or something--gulp) and the smell has permeated everything in his house. Even then I don't think a cord and plug would absorb the smell.

In any case I'm sure the advice on removing it will work. You may never discover what it was, but you can certainly get rid of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'm sure you've heard of the fact that you "can't smell or own smell"...not saying that you smell but I'm just saying.

That's simply not true. Of course you can smell yourself--how not? Anyone with normal smell knows when they need to be using deodorant or whatever. They may be too busy to notice, but once it's mentioned they know.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read other threads i've about smelly headphones, another reason to buy new
biggrin.gif
I'd ask for a refund and pay out of my own pocket for the shipping :/

I've read posts complaining about the smell of NEW phones! Maybe they piddle on them at the factory.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read posts complaining about the smell of NEW phones! Maybe they piddle on them at the factory.

[size=small]._.
[/size]

[size=xx-small]i dont want new headphones anymore...
[/size]

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, if you are keeping the cans then get a plastic container large enough so the cans can fit in and you can still close the lid. Get a box of arm and hammer baking soda, open it and place inside the container w/ the smelly cans and close the lid. Allow to sit for a week without disturbing/moving since you do not want the powder to get all over the can. This should work, if not return and ask for your money back including your cost of shipping the unit back.

eb86e486-fc3a-4d23-970a-bbd5a414703b.png

This is ingenious. Why didn't I think of this.

Anyways, here's what I'm actually going to do, inputs would definitely help. Since the real reason why I brought these headphones was not only to just listen to them but because I want to make them my first recabling/modding project. Thought I started with something cheap.

So since I can't really get rid of the smell, I decided to dissemble the headphone completely, throw all the plastics into a container with water and soap, replace all the pads, and start the new cabling. I figured not only would that cease the smell but also improve the sound a bit. So, this thread may slow develop into a modding thread for the A700.

atsmile.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #42 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's simply not true. Of course you can smell yourself--how not? Anyone with normal smell knows when they need to be using deodorant or whatever. They may be too busy to notice, but once it's mentioned they know.

Wrong - people become accustomed to smells, at which point they don't notice them anymore. Hence why smokers don't notice how badly their house/themselves smell to us nonsmokers (and why they have to smoke in specific hotel rooms).

Could the smell be from the material used to make the headphones? Kinda weird that the cable etc would smell too.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #43 of 80
Take the pads off and hand wash them with detergent, then let it sit dry, do it a few times. Other people have already mentioned with febreze and baking soda. If you have done all those you should be able to get at least 80% of the smell out.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #44 of 80
I picked up some cheap SR-80s on Craigslist, and they had an acrid/sweet smell all over (if I had to guess, I'd say years of exposure to potporri or some kind of scented oil). Washing the pads and wiping down with alcohol helped a bit, but the smell was still pretty powerful when I put them on (coming from the cups). After replacing the pads and having them sit around my house for about two weeks, I can barely smell anything. Baking soda sounds like an excellent idea to speed up the process.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 80
if all else fails;

kill%20it%20with%20fire.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back