I just brought a headphone from a fellow head-fier here...but
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #16 of 80
I trained for a marathon with bose noise reducing headphones - so they got pretty brutal. I bought new pads and they are as good as new - so that could help. Now I want to buy real headphones!

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #17 of 80
makes me wonder whats under the smell
smily_headphones1.gif
like they used it to mask the other smell
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming you're the seller: If you were unknown of your own smell, would you take it back?

The smell is a flaw with the condition of the headphones which were bought. This flaw is in no way different to a visible cosmetic flaw which was not disclosed beforehand, or a physical or technical flaw affecting the headphones sound reproduction. If the seller does not know about the cosmetic flaw or the physical damage that does not excuse them from being responsible for the condition that the headphones are actually in unless they are clearly sold under some kind of "as is" basis.

A undisclosed flaw with how a headphoen smells is just as much basis for return and refund as a cosmetic flaw. If you bought a pair of headphones and they were covered in red marker pen and the seller didn't know that because his eyes aren't capable of seeing red marker pen would you say thats fair enough and resign yourself to ineffectual scrubbing?

If the smell was smoke or puke would there be this hesitation? An unwanted smell is an unwanted smell.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 80
I would try febreeze on the fabric parts and try wiping down the cord and plastic parts with some diluted bleach/hot water solution and wipe down the plastic and the cord. If you do the bleach obviously remove the pads first if possible or just take precaution to not get the bleach on them. Bleach should get rid of any smell on the plastic parts, and I'm sure febreeze will work on the fabric. When I bought my last car it was used by a smoker and smelled terrible and I could not get the smell out with just soap. I used diluted bleach water on the dash and febreeze on the fabric and it worked like a charm.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 80
I am the seller of the headphones. They are Audio Technica ATH-A700's that I bought used last October at the Can-Jam in Denver from another Head-Fi'er. They never smelled while I owned them. They didn't smell for me and I don't use purfumes or hair spray and I was really quite amazed when I asked the OP if he was okay with the 'phones when he said: "they smelled"!!

I don't smoke and I have no explanation as to why the phones have an oder. I used them only at work. They lived on a stand, and the cord was stationary on the desk routed to the amp. I never touched the cord very much, I sure as heck never dipped the plug in anything that smelled!! I in fact had not used them for about a month prior to the sale.

I bought a used pair of Senn HD-580's (that freed up the A700's) and have smelled them everyday since the OP said the A700's smelled...and I don't detect any odor...

I don't know what to say. I have a very sensitive sense of smell (always have) and if they were smelly, I feel like I would have noticed!!

Is there any other explanation other than "I sold him smelly headphones"?

Could this have happened in shipment?

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could this have happened in shipment?

Well....strangely enough, the box you sent to me also had that same smell...certainly you don't wear the box so it's strange to see why the box would also smell.

Also, I'm sure you've heard of the fact that you "can't smell or own smell"...not saying that you smell but I'm just saying.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Well....strangely enough, the box you sent to me also had that same smell...certainly you don't wear the box so it's strange to see why the box would also smell.

Also, I'm sure you've heard of the fact that you "can't smell or own smell"...not saying that you smell but I'm just saying.

If the odor is as pervasive as you say it is, then I really think I would have noticed.

And you say the box also smelled..then, that's it!! Sounds like something leaked out of another box during shipment and got onto our box.

It was shipped Fed-Ex insured, let's take it to Fed-Ex and see what they say (I mean smell).

I trust you kept the shipping box/materials...?

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #25 of 80
While I could understand the pads having an odor, how could the cord and plug smell bad? I have pairs of cans with hundreds of hours, on my head and friends alike, and it's fair to say they don't smell bad. Most cords (even cloth ones) would have a hard time absorbing a strong odor.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the odor is as pervasive as you say it is, then I really think I would have noticed.

And you say the box also smelled..then, that's it!! Sounds like something leaked out of another box during shipment and got onto our box.

It was shipped Fed-Ex insured, let's take it to Fed-Ex and see what they say (I mean smell).

I trust you kept the shipping box/materials...?

Yes, I still have the shipping box/materials but I should clarify;

The shipping box doesn't smell, only whatever inside does; which includes the original headphone box and whatever else in that box as well. I should also point out that the shipping box came perfected sealed and contained very well.

So I'm trying to say that the smell must have originated from within the shipping box and that smell could have not been from outside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I could understand the pads having an odor, how could the cord and plug smell bad? I have pairs of cans with hundreds of hours, on my head and friends alike, and it's fair to say they don't smell bad. Most cords (even cloth ones) would have a hard time absorbing a strong odor.

Exactly, puzzles me too.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

Exactly, puzzles me too.

Let's try the febreze that everyone says arrests oders. If it fixes the problem, I will send you the cost of the febreze.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 80
i usually throw the headphones in a plastic bag with a few fabric softener sheets. tie it closed, it's good the next day

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #29 of 80
Since you just brought it from a fellow head-fier, then bring it back to him/her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back