I introduce myself as a....noob
Jul 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tomveg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 
so im pretty new to this audiophile world, so I need some "start here" advice; This forum is pretty big and I dont know where to begin.

Any help will be appreciated!
darthsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 13
those two threads might be a little intimidating for someone who's still in shallow waters.

Give us an idea on what kind of music you like and then we can help you some more.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 13
What is it you need help with exactly? Better iems, better mp3 player (more capacity, better sound)Customs, Full Size headphones.  You get the idea.

If not just browse around, plenty of info here.

Cheers

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Useful Links...

Hey tomveg, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet (don't worry, you'll know why we say that soon enough).  If you look at the top of every forum's first page, you'll see a list of links that looks like this:

What you'll want to do is look at the three links in the green oval.  The first one you should start with is "A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By Boomana" since it not only gives you a starting point, but also some helpful advice on how to get the most from your time here at Head-Fi.

Then, as you read through (and post in) the forums, you'll want to have the "Glossary of Terms" and "Describing Sound - A Glossary" threads open so that you can understand some of the terms we commonly use here.  We'll say things like "sibilant' or "PRaT" not because we're trying to be all superior, but because it's easier and faster than typing out "that harsh sound the she sings words with a sss sound" or "pace, rhythm and timing."  You'll get used to it soon enough, and be using those terms yourself in no time.

OT:  Why are y'all pointing him straight to IEM shootouts and stuff?  He didn't mention anything about IEMs in particular, and was just asking for a general starting point.  Those are good links, but I'm just sayin' it might be a bit of the deep end too soon...

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Useful Links...

Hey tomveg, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet (don't worry, you'll know why we say that soon enough).  If you look at the top of every forum's first page, you'll see a list of links that looks like this:

What you'll want to do is look at the three links in the green oval.  The first one you should start with is "A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By Boomana" since it not only gives you a starting point, but also some helpful advice on how to get the most from your time here at Head-Fi.

Then, as you read through (and post in) the forums, you'll want to have the "Glossary of Terms" and "Describing Sound - A Glossary" threads open so that you can understand some of the terms we commonly use here.  We'll say things like "sibilant' or "PRaT" not because we're trying to be all superior, but because it's easier and faster than typing out "that harsh sound the she sings words with a sss sound" or "pace, rhythm and timing."  You'll get used to it soon enough, and be using those terms yourself in no time.

OT:  Why are y'all pointing him straight to IEM shootouts and stuff?  He didn't mention anything about IEMs in particular, and was just asking for a general starting point.  Those are good links, but I'm just sayin' it might be a bit of the deep end too soon...

I skipped all those links when I joined, before long I found myself in one of Dsnuts discovery threads. :cool:

Great for nOObs!

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Well, because I remember thinking "holy crap these threads are AWESOME" when I myself first started shopping for ear/headphones  
etysmile.gif

Which they are...
smile.gif

Quote:
I skipped all those links when I joined, before long I found myself in one of Dsnuts discovery threads.
cool.gif

Great for nOObs!

Okay, fair enough. 
biggrin.gif
  Either way, he's gonna have loads of fun!

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi everyone, well i've reading, a lot, thanks for the support, and in order to answer questions, Im looking for a descent pair of IEM since I have a iPod shuffle, this little guy, because of experience, cant handle a headphone, it discharge very quick and the sound is pretty poor. As I mention before, the music i listen to is ska, reggae, punk and hardcore, so the IEM's should handle a full range of frequency, because some songs have not a good quality, some have high treble, some have not, some are pretty bassy and distortion easily.

I already have a clue to where im heading, thanks to ljokerl reviews and the basic guide to in ear canalphones, and some other posts here.

thanks!!
o2smile.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Hi everyone, well i've reading, a lot, thanks for the support, and in order to answer questions, Im looking for a descent pair of IEM since I have a iPod shuffle, this little guy, because of experience, cant handle a headphone, it discharge very quick and the sound is pretty poor. As I mention before, the music i listen to is ska, reggae, punk and hardcore, so the IEM's should handle a full range of frequency, because some songs have not a good quality, some have high treble, some have not, some are pretty bassy and distortion easily.

I already have a clue to where im heading, thanks to ljokerl reviews and the basic guide to in ear canalphones, and some other posts here.

thanks!!
o2smile.gif

Awesome, let us know which ones you decide on, and your impressions on them as well 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back