I.... I'm deaf. Sort of. :'(
Jan 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #17 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably listening too loud.

Are you using lossless files? Not 128k mp3s or anything are they?

Most of my music is from the iTunes store so they're 128 or 256 AAC.

Yeah I know that's nothing like what people here listen to but if anything I actually expected to hear more flaws or whatever.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by fanta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of my music is from the iTunes store so they're 128 or 256 AAC.

Yeah I know that's nothing like what people here listen to but if anything I actually expected to hear more flaws or whatever.

Better tracks will show a bigger difference between the Pico and Cmoy. Just give it more time. I'm sure a lot of people go through this!

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mind finding that thread..would love to try it out

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...ta-pic-221237/

There you go
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitive guide how to setup ASIO4ALL with Foobar2000.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #22 of 80
Ah dammit. Now I'm noticing a lot of 'noise' and stuff in some songs. I'm guessing this is because of the low quality. The one I'm listening to right now is a 320kbps MP3 and I have no idea if it's the mp3 quality or if it's just information from the song that I just didn't hear before. This is so annoying.

Is there any software that 'cleans up' low quality files? Something like an upscaler for HDTVs. It doesn't really add any new information but makes the source a bit better.

I'm going to try that ASIO thing now.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #23 of 80
320 should still be pretty good quality. If it's a good rip with LAME 3.97 or something it will be still excellent quality compared to lossless.

What music are you listening to? Don't be embarrassed, I'll go first, right now, Michael Jackson.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
320 should still be pretty good quality. If it's a good rip with LAME 3.97 or something it will be still excellent quality compared to lossless.

What music are you listening to? Don't be embarrassed, I'll go first, right now, Michael Jackson.

Embarrassed? Michael Jackson? Never!
tongue.gif
I didn't mention that particular track because I didn't think anyone would recognize it anyway. It's from a Japanese anime called Eureka 7. The song is Taiyou no Mannaka he by Bivattchee. Yes I had to copy/paste that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 80
Quote:

tongue.gif
I didn't mention that particular track because I didn't think anyone would recognize it anyway. It's from a Japanese anime called Eureka 7. The song is Taiyou no Mannaka he by Bivattchee. Yes I had to copy/paste that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ha Ha, variety is the spice of life.

You were right about no-one recognizing it, at least, no one sitting at my desk. Maybe it just sounds like that. Lots of tracks you thought were good turn out terrible when you really hear them properly. I used to love Oasis - What's the story morning glory, before head-fi...

If you want some lossless tracks to try, there is a thread here somewhere full of free high quality flacs, if you haven't found it already. Search for free flac.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

The HD650s I bought were one of the best purchases I've ever made. I love them. I really, really love them. At that point I didn't even know about amps and dacs, when I did I got a cheap ~20 penguin cmoy. I doubt there was much of a difference, I never bothered to test.

Now I received a Pico amp/dac. This thing is ~500 dollars, and the dac apparently is as good as 1000 dollar ones.

I tried the amp first... no difference? OK there's something different about it.... but I'm not exactly blown away. I connect the dac and set it as the default playback device in Vista... now the music is going through the dac and amp... before buying the pico I thought I won't be able to believe the sound coming out of it, and now I'm switching between songs and default players in vista just trying to hear the difference. I went to that linn records site and listened to high-quality samples, and yeah, same thing...

Now I'm thinking I probably would've been just as happy with cheaper headphones too.

I hate this. I feel left out. I feel like I'm deaf. And stupid.
frown.gif

It may be that your not susceptible to so much of the broohaha that surrounds high end audio. Just believe your ears and remember that it is the music which matters most.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Just by any chance you got the real ost cd?
because my one is low quality 128kbps :p
And for your note, most japanese recording is overbright
biggrin.gif
I don't know why, but my Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Utada Hikaru, Emi Fujita, and couple other CD, sharing the similar characteristic - bright
frown.gif

Try to get a Audiophile record label CD, I know you might don't like it but just for sake to see your new rigs capability
biggrin.gif

As a starter, K2HD Audiophile Tester CD or FIM Audiophile reference CD.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 80
Quote:

It's from a Japanese anime called Eureka 7. The song is Taiyou no Mannaka he by Bivattchee. Yes I had to copy/paste that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good song. I also like Storywriter by Supercar, Days by Flow, and Himitsu Kichi by...whoever it was by.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 80
i think you'll find a substantial improvement in your sound quality, fanta, when you enable ASIO in your software player (foobar/winamp). for the longest time, i thought i had ASIO enabled in foobar until a few hours ago did i do some research and found that i didn't. >_< now, i'm enjoying my music A LOT better. the difference will become apparent once you enable it, and it will be for the better.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #30 of 80
I just played my copy of taiyou no mannaka he. The song seems to be pretty loud, it seems like it's on the verge of clipping the whole song on my equipment, and may very well just be clipping on yours.

taiyounomannakahefq0.jpg

My rip is probably different from yours, it's a VBR mp3. The guitars seem harsh at parts, and I highly suspect it to be problems in the production of this song. Try some of your other music and see if the noise goes away.

I'm also not familiar with vista, but I believe a few of the members here may be able to help you setup whatever is needed software side, to get the optimal settings while you're using the Pico DAC+Amp combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back