I hit the Zune/Woot jackpot!
Nov 1, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #32 of 35
I got my $79 black Zune and my free travel pack today. My thirteen year old is getting the Zune, but I'm keeping the travel kit (less the Zune IEMs) Here's mini review of what you get in the travel kit:

1.The case itself is really nice. It's black woven material like they use to make luggage, hard shell and about 5" by 8" by 3". Inside you get a very stiff foam cutout for the Zune and the premium earphone case. The cutout for the earphone case is covered by a net, so you can lose the case and put your own IEMs in the compartment behind the net. Nice touch. The other side of the case holds all of the other accessories loosely behind a net. A stiff divider swings shut between the the two halves of the case, so your accessories won't damage your Zune. If you leave behind the remote, there's room enough in the accessory compartment for a small portable headphone amp. My Xenos fits perfectly.

2. The premium earphones remind me of Sony EX71s, which I own. The bass is bloated and resonant and the treble is exaggerated, but they're way better than ear buds. The little plastic earphone case also holds two different sized silicone tips, so you get three pairs in all S,M and L. My kid will love these, he likes the KSC 75s I bought him, but I know he thinks they look geeky.

3. The remote has a little clip on disc, which is nice, but the built in amp does not sound good, and is very noisy. Also you can't change FM stations with the remote. You can hook two pairs of phones up and use the Zune's headphone out at the same time, so you could host an intimate little 3-way "social" if you so desired.

4. The charger is a must for a travel kit. It's rather large and heavy with a nice finish and looks well made.

5. The extra sync cord is a must to make the charger work.

To sum up, the "premium' earphones and the remote would be pretty much useless to most Headfiers, but the case and charger make this a must have for traveling Zuners.

Woot must have a boatload of these, so look for them on sale there soon. The retail for the kit is $99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back