I heart Mac OS X: Favourite Freeware
Feb 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #31 of 89
Thanks jonathanjong for the gimmesometunes recommendation. I was surprised at how quickly it found artwork that itunes couldn't find. Now if only I could drag the album covers in the gimmesometunes window to the itunes window
smile.gif
. Its also pretty cool having the lyrics at hand.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if only I could drag the album covers in the gimmesometunes window to the itunes window
smile.gif
. Its also pretty cool having the lyrics at hand.

Eh? Doesn't the image go to iTunes too? So, when GimmeSomeTune fetches album art, does it not appear in CoverFlow, etc? I don't actually use that function, heh. I tend to get my album art manually. Is a pain, but I'm a bit anal like that.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firefox is still drawing all windows using XUL. While Camino is native and draw windows using Aqua. Firefox is no more native today than it was on day 1 (afaik).
Camino also have Keychain and Address Book support, while Firefox don't.

Ah, a little bit too deep for me, unfortunately. Erm, Firefox 3 has Aqua controls, yes? (Should I say that Gecko 1.9 has Aqua controls, instead?) So, are these Aqua controls "fake" in some manner? Like, pretending to be Aqua? I remember the excitement over Firefox 3 being about the fact that it was re-written to keep up with Apple's preference for Cocoa (over Carbon) and Quartz (over QuickDraw) too.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #34 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that couldn't be more obvious...

Thanks, even if I am a moron
biggrin.gif

Thought for posterity I should add an app or two... Obvious one is VLC, but I also love Xpad (best notebook app I've used), Cyberduck, Max, Plex (Brilliant media center software - XBMC for Mac)

I tried plex. It seemed awesome, but then after a LOT of fiddling around, it still refused to send any audio output to my Fubar. Couldn't be bothered messing with it any more.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, a little bit too deep for me, unfortunately. Erm, Firefox 3 has Aqua controls, yes? (Should I say that Gecko 1.9 has Aqua controls, instead?) So, are these Aqua controls "fake" in some manner? Like, pretending to be Aqua? I remember the excitement over Firefox 3 being about the fact that it was re-written to keep up with Apple's preference for Cocoa (over Carbon) and Quartz (over QuickDraw) too.

Correct, Firefox have moved to Cocoa (from Carbon) and Quartz (from QuickDraw). But that's just the API, while the GUI is still the cross-platform XUL (basically just CSS, JavaScript, and DOM).

While Camino use Cocoa, Quartz and Aqua.
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

So are XUL and Aqua languages? And Camino doesn't use CSS, JavaScript, etc.? Also, what does this practically mean? That Camino should render graphics better, faster?

This is getting way to off-topic for this thread already..
Read up on XUL and Aqua. Then you understand that Firefox is not as native as most think.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio switcher - allows quick on the fly changing of audio in/out source

Thanks, been looking for that one
biggrin.gif

I've found iPodDisk to be nice having around. Lets you browse your iPod music in Finder.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #40 of 89
I'd like to add two more, which work together:
1. MacFUSE
2. NTFS-3G
Together, these drivers allow Mac OS X to write to NFTS.
biggrin.gif

And here's an endorsement of dougscripts. Doug writes and hosts a slew of useful Applescripts for iTunes. If Quicksilver is a great reason to use Mac OS X, dougscripts are a great reason to use iTunes.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Eh? Doesn't the image go to iTunes too? So, when GimmeSomeTune fetches album art, does it not appear in CoverFlow, etc? I don't actually use that function, heh. I tend to get my album art manually. Is a pain, but I'm a bit anal like that.

Nope. I will check the settings later when I get home and see if it is possible.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #44 of 89
Quote:

Don't think the settings will help... I thought it'd go to iTunes automatically, like the lyrics do.

Actually it can and is supposed to, but it hasn't happened on all of the albums I have tried except for one. I spent a few minutes playing all my albums on itunes without cover art, and finally one album did get artwork from gimmesometunes transferred over to itunes/the song file (Tool - Undertow). Cool. I did change one setting in the preferences of gimmesometunes; I changed the preference so that gimmesometunes auto starts every time I open Itunes.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #45 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried plex. It seemed awesome, but then after a LOT of fiddling around, it still refused to send any audio output to my Fubar. Couldn't be bothered messing with it any more.

It's still very much in Beta, but has excellent support. To be honest for a beta version it's probably the best performing media player I've used in years - can't wait for the full release. The more audio enthusiasts that get involved the better - the developers are really open to what the community wants, and making it the best it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back