I heart Mac OS X: Favourite Freeware
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #61 of 89
is there anything like freegate?

my friends all tell me how great it is. (where i live youtube loads ridiculously slow) and they say it is sooo fast with freegate..
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #63 of 89
wow thanks for this guys!!!

QUICKSILVER is awesome... gonnna play with it now...

some free ones that i cant live without that are not mentioned...

FUGU: free ssh/ftp client
MPEG STREAMCLIP: convert any type of video to another type (useful for iphone ipods)
HANDBRAKE: rip dvds and convert them to ipod iphone use....
VLC : as mentioned before.. .awesome...
SUPER DUPER!: make aperfect clone of your hard drive... incase you need to swap out or upgrade a hard drive..

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #64 of 89
Two more I'd like to add that aren't prototypically freeware, but can be used for free:

Skitch: Nifty app for making screencasts, and sharing them on Screencast.com (2GB bandwidth free). Limitation is that it outputs videos in swf. The mp4 version isn't free.

Jing: Nifty app for quickly editing (well, scribbling on) images (e.g., photos) and sending them out via e-mail or uploading them places. Kind of like Jing but for images. Limitation is that it's in beta.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #65 of 89
Quite a lot of awesome command line applications as well.
LAME, FLAC and cdparanopia to name a few...
smile.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #66 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite a lot of awesome command line applications as well.
LAME, FLAC and cdparanopia to name a few...
smile.gif

There's also XLD which is a really nice GUI for cdparanoia.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #69 of 89
Just started using quicksilver, it is win on a stick.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #70 of 89
Yeah. QuickSilver is amazing. One thing I do a lot with it is Web Search, make sure to enable that module of QS.

Once you have it enabled, it just makes your web searches so much easier. For example, I decide I want to search for Steve Hoffman on Wikipedia. Invoke QS, type Wikipedia Search in the first panel (or in my case, since QS learns and anticipates, I just type "W").

In the second panel, choose "Search for".

In the third panel, type "Steve Hoffman". Then press enter.

QS then OPENS the application Firefox (or Safari, or whatever your default browser is), then goes to wikipedia, and opens the Steve Hoffman page for you.

It may SOUND more convoluted than just opening firefox yourself, navigating to wikipedia, etc... but really, it's not. It works for a number of web searches as well, like youtube, google, imdb, etc... A LOT of web searches.

The only one I use regularly that doesn't seem to work is nudography.com.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #72 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any freeware that works like WireTap Pro/Studio?

Audacity can do it, it just wont look as pretty as it does it.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #73 of 89
@Krmathis Menu Meters, I personally prefer istat but my menu is so crowded i just use istat pro in dashboard when i care to know

Recent additions

TexShop - Mentioned Earlier
Bowtie - iTunes now playing app sort of like synergy shows a display in corner (overlay). Still beta but good. Theming is HTML for easy altering.
Bluebird - Twitter app, very early app makes it pretty rough, it has some issues with direct messages not being displayed at times but otherwise decent. (hoping it adds growl, bowtie is by same dev and has it)
Growl - General alerts app that does a overlay in corner.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowtie - iTunes now playing app sort of like synergy shows a display in corner (overlay). Still beta but good. Theming is HTML for easy altering.

Tried it. Tried all the menubar controllers. Tried Quicksilver as a controller

I now use: zumuya » iTunesVolume

Beautifully simple. Beautifully elegant. Windows on Mac defaults so the right side of the desktop is showing; where your hard drive and external devices show up. In that respect it fits in seamlessly into OSX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back