I heart Mac OS X: Favourite Freeware
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #46 of 89
This application is also worth mentioning.
smile.gif

Perian - QuickTime component, allowing QuickTime Player to play "all" media.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #47 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still very much in Beta, but has excellent support. To be honest for a beta version it's probably the best performing media player I've used in years - can't wait for the full release. The more audio enthusiasts that get involved the better - the developers are really open to what the community wants, and making it the best it can be.

Oh, if it weren't for the non-integration with my Fubar, I'd be all over it like a rash. It looks pretty, seems to have good file support, better than front row anyway, and feels nice to use. I'll definitely try it again in a couple of versions time...

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #48 of 89
What exactly does Quicksilver do, or allow you to do?

I've read about it, but I don't understand. I've been with the Mac family for almost 2 years, its almost shameful that I don't know anything about scripts and Terminal. Same goes for Automator and other utilities.

I've read somewhere people only had Quicksilver on their dock, and it was the only thing they ever needed. Does that sound crazy or crazy?

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #49 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some nice read in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_(software)

Basically its an application that allow you to perform all kind of tasks using key combinations. Launch applications, send email, run scripts, manipulate files, ...

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #50 of 89
Quote:

It can do many things, but its main purpose is to be used as an application launcher. It's hard to explain without trying it yourself, but basically what it does is combine keywords to do actions. It learns your most used key strokes so all you need to do is type a few letters on the keyboard to do things that would require many mouse clicks. For example, what I want to do here is to open the file "Rapport.tex" with TexShop. All I need to to is bring the Quicksilver dialog box with Control-space, then I type "texs [tab] f [tab] r [tab] [enter]" and it performs the action:

picture4iu7.png

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #51 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some nice read in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_(software)

Basically its an application that allow you to perform all kind of tasks using key combinations. Launch applications, send email, run scripts, manipulate files, ...

Ha, that was the first site I visited before inquiring about Quicksilver here. Too much to read, too confusing. I needed an explanation in layman's term.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess, I have like no use of this nifty program. Since I already know all my hotkeys to gain access to Application, Home, and other frequently accessed locations.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 89
Quote:

Ha, that was the first site I visited before inquiring about Quicksilver here. Too much to read, too confusing. I needed an explanation in layman's term.
smily_headphones1.gif

He! Don't know how much more specific and short the description could be than this. But guess its hard to understand for a non-layman.
wink.gif

Quote:

Quicksilver (localized as Quıcĸsıɩⅴεʀ) is a computer utility software program for Mac OS X, made by Blacktree Software and distributed freely. It allows users to use the keyboard to rapidly perform tasks such as launching applications, manipulating files and data, running scripts, or sending e-mail. It is similar to the Mac OS X applications LaunchBar and Butler, but uses a different interaction paradigm. Although it is a complex application, it is centered on a very simple three-panel interface, called the "command window": the user performs complex tasks using simple, configurable key-combinations.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #53 of 89
Trust me, xkRoWx, you want Quicksilver. As for only having Quicksilver on the dock...you might not even need a dock with Quicksilver. I still like to drag files into application via the Dock sometimes, but Quicksilver can do that too.

I personally use Quicksilver primarily to (a) launch Applications (instead of going to the Applications folder and picking one), (b) open files (instead of going to the Documents folder and picking one), (c) open bookmarked sites (instead of launching Firefox first, then picking a bookmark), (d) change network locations (instead of opening Network Preferences and picking one).

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #54 of 89
YouTube - Quicksilver Tutorial Mac OS X

This is just the first of a series of tutorials that show off what quicksilver can do.

I use QS hundreds of times a day when I'm on my Mac, I'm guessing, and I'm pretty sure I still haven't been using it to its full potential.

It takes some getting used to, and you have to allow yourself a bit of a steep learning curve while setting it up IN THE BEGINNING, and by that I mean the first two or three hours. After that initial time investment of setting it up and learning it, you're golden.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #56 of 89
Here is another highly recommended application.
MenuMeters - Menu bar application, showing CPU, memory, disk and network usage.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #57 of 89
I've only use mac for a short time, but two that I are:
Bean - word document
Burn - disc burning

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This application is also worth mentioning.
smile.gif

Perian - QuickTime component, allowing QuickTime Player to play "all" media.

less worth mentioning, but sometimes needd: flipmac to play wmv.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #58 of 89
I find Spotlight in 10.5 replaces most of Quicksilver's functionality. Coming from Windows I like Cog over iTunes for playing my collection since its most like Foobar. iChm is great for reading some ebooks. Deep Sleep is a nice widget for putting my lappy into hibernate (unibody MBP has issues with draining 1-2% battery per hour on sleep). NetNewsWire is my preferred my RSS reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back