I have narrowed it down to HD800, GS1000 or Beyer T1s
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

macrog

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed it down to HD800, GS1000 or Beyer T1s.

As I live in New Zealand I will not be able to hear the Grados or Beyerdynamics before purchasing. I am leaning towards the Sennheisers as I have heard them.

Amplifier wise I have narrowed it down to either a audio-gd phoenix(to match my reference 1 dac) or a maxed out b22 (which I understand may well be better).

One of my friends has agreed to build a b22 for me if I go this way.

My absolute maximum price for headphones and amp is about hd800+phoenix.

Any help would be appreciated

macrog

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 10
you could listen to the GS1000's in auckland if you made the trip, i can demo them for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM (which I realised I'd read just before being dragged away from the computer and forgotten about just now). I unfortunately haven't ever tried a Beta 22 to compare. There was one NY meet where people were 50/50 on which they preferred. Personally what I'm interested in doing is building a balanced EHHA to see how it compares to my Phoenix. The advantage of the Phoenix is that you can use the ACSS connection, but despite that, you can still improve on the quality of the ACSS ICs if you're inclined to do so, but it wont have as significant effect as different XLR cables might. Whatever amp you get, definitely go balanced, as the Ref 1 works best when using balanced outputs (either XLR or ACSS).

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM (which I realised I'd read just before being dragged away from the computer and forgotten about just now). I unfortunately haven't ever tried a Beta 22 to compare. There was one NY meet where people were 50/50 on which they preferred. Personally what I'm interested in doing is building a balanced EHHA to see how it compares to my Phoenix. The advantage of the Phoenix is that you can use the ACSS connection, but despite that, you can still improve on the quality of the ACSS ICs if you're inclined to do so, but it wont have as significant effect as different XLR cables might. Whatever amp you get, definitely go balanced, as the Ref 1 works best when using balanced outputs (either XLR or ACSS).

Thanks for that. Very useful information.

I will look into the EHHA

Regards

macrog

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 10
In the end of the day having heard and really liked the HD800s I decided to just get some and stop searching to infinitum for nirvana.

I have Lehman Black cube linear on loan but will probably just grab the Audio-gd Phoenix.

The HD800s make music beautifully and comapre suprisingly well to my speakers which retail at over 6 times the price of the hd800s.

Macrog

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Well done on your purchase! You made a great decision, sounds like you love them so far
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't think there is a wrong decision between the HD800s and T1s, but I would not recommend the GS1000s (and I'm a huge Grado fan).

The GS1000s were for me too far a departure from the Grado house sound and I'm not a fan of that departure.

I've listened to the HD800s a few times and at first was struck be amazement on just how clear everything is. They are wonders of technology for sure. But in the end, they did not evoke strong emotions for me (just like my HD650s were great to listen, but with time became, well...bland).

Not to say the HD800s were bland, just not exciting to my ears. But I will continue to give them a try and who knows, I might end up with them down the road.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 10
I was seriously underwhelmed by the GS1000 when i heard them at the local shop, combined with the discomfort and bad fit its such a bad first Grado experience for me. Horribly overpriced IMO. I prefer D7000, edition 8/9, even AD2000 over it. Absolutely no contest with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back