I have given up on finding any HE 90's, but that's OK...........
Aug 18, 2007 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

randerson3024

Owns the ultimate portable rig
Well, I have given up hopes of ever getting a pair of HE 90's, although I will certainly try if there is a chance, but that's OK, I just spent my HE 90 money on a pair of Magnepan 20.1s, and they are glorious with the ARC Ref 210's. I had forgotten how much I enjoy my system when I am home, although the fine members of this forum have given me the information I need to get the most out of my headphones when I am on the boat.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have given up hopes of ever getting a pair of HE 90's, although I will certainly try if there is a chance, but that's OK, I just spent my HE 90 money on a pair of Magnepan 20.1s, and they are glorious with the ARC Ref 210's. I had forgotten how much I enjoy my system when I am home, although the fine members of this forum have given me the information I need to get the most out of my headphones when I am on the boat.
biggrin.gif

Nice purchase.

However, please don't give up on the HE90s. Your optimism has been feeding the rest of us who want to just try them, let alone ownership.
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 45
IMHO you're better off waiting for Sennheiser to drop some new stuff. Its widely accepted belief that there is something in the works. Some say a new electrostatic affair is highly likely. I am waiting with bated breath.
plainface.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Good move. The He90 isn't worth the 5k I paid for it and at 10k people need to have their heads checked. You can put together a very nice speaker setup for that. Rebuilt Quad ESLs, 845 SET amps and some nice cables...

Now you have to have those Maggies modded. Great drivers but mated with horrible materials both in the frame and the crossover.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good move. The He90 isn't worth the 5k I paid for it and at 10k people need to have their heads checked. You can put together a very nice speaker setup for that. Rebuilt Quad ESLs, 845 SET amps and some nice cables...

Now you have to have those Maggies modded. Great drivers but mated with horrible materials both in the frame and the crossover.

I have a buddy that recabled his 3.5's with Nordost (I forget the cable, not Valhalla), and it made a difference. He was also using an old modified Audio Research crossover. They sounded really nice. I am thinking of getting a new Ref 110 to drive the tweeters and use the Ref 210's on the bass panels.

I am lucky enough to be home just long enough time to send my Aristeaus to Justin for voltage mods (I bought mine from an Israeli) for shipment to the boat. I have high hopes for the 4070's when driven properly, the SRM-727 just does not do the trick. Given all their weaknesses, I have been listening to the HE 60's the most, as the 727 will drive them. I am also really looking forward to trying the Ultrasone Edition 9's.

My ARC dealer has the new dCS Scarlatti on loan. I am supposed to meet him and the American dCS rep for a listening session before I return. I think the cost of all it combined is $68,000, a little too much to even consider. I wish I could A/B my Esoteric with it, they even use the Esoteric transport.

Forgive all typos and grammar, typing on this laptop sucks.

Cheers,

Bob

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by S/PDIF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO you're better off waiting for Sennheiser to drop some new stuff. Its widely accepted belief that there is something in the works. Some say a new electrostatic affair is highly likely. I am waiting with bated breath.
plainface.gif

That would be something. I have high hopes for 4070's driven properly.
lambda.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Jack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have the HE90 for purchase on this site: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/default....EUS&product=31

They say they do international shipments.

Thanks for the tip, but I think this is an old ad. I contacted them some time ago, and they never responded.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Thanks for the tip, but I think this is an old ad. I contacted them some time ago, and they never responded.

Really? That's too bad. Now I know why you were so discouraged!
icon10.gif

I certainly can't afford them, but I'll let you know if I ever see them for sale.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

I have a buddy that recabled his 3.5's with Nordost (I forget the cable, not Valhalla), and it made a difference. He was also using an old modified Audio Research crossover. They sounded really nice. I am thinking of getting a new Ref 110 to drive the tweeters and use the Ref 210's on the bass panels.

I am lucky enough to be home just long enough time to send my Aristeaus to Justin for voltage mods (I bought mine from an Israeli) for shipment to the boat. I have high hopes for the 4070's when driven properly, the SRM-727 just does not do the trick. Given all their weaknesses, I have been listening to the HE 60's the most, as the 727 will drive them. I am also really looking forward to trying the Ultrasone Edition 9's.

My ARC dealer has the new dCS Scarlatti on loan. I am supposed to meet him and the American dCS rep for a listening session before I return. I think the cost of all it combined is $68,000, a little too much to even consider. I wish I could A/B my Esoteric with it, they even use the Esoteric transport.

Forgive all typos and grammar, typing on this laptop sucks.

Cheers,

Bob

The internal wires are crap and so are the crossover components. The frame should also be rebuild with maple or some other natural wood, mdf is only good for furniture. Maggies, like all other planars, need a stiff frame that allows the film to do its thing while firmly secured. Take a look at the Planar Asylum and see their Maggie mods, very nice!!
biggrin.gif
Biamping would be a good idea as planars love power, more is always better.

It will be great to have some feedback on the Aristaeus driving the 4070 as I really need to start working on me HEV90 clone. You should really consider to have Justin put in some nicer coupling caps while the amp is with him. It will cost quite a bit (500$ or more for V-Caps) but it will totally transform the amp. It is a much better upgrade then some NOS ECC803's.

For 68k$ I'd much rather have the APL NWO player at 30k$ even though I'd have to wait a few months for it. It is a UX-1 with everything thrown out but the TOTL VRDS-Neo transports. The Scarlatti uses the same lower end transport as your P-03 does, but it's still miles ahead of anything else out there though there has been a bit of an awakening lately with regards to the drive quality with Marantz and Accuphase producing their own models.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

The internal wires are crap and so are the crossover components. The frame should also be rebuild with maple or some other natural wood, mdf is only good for furniture. Maggies, like all other planars, need a stiff frame that allows the film to do its thing while firmly secured. Take a look at the Planar Asylum and see their Maggie mods, very nice!!
biggrin.gif
Biamping would be a good idea as planars love power, more is always better.

It will be great to have some feedback on the Aristaeus driving the 4070 as I really need to start working on me HEV90 clone. You should really consider to have Justin put in some nicer coupling caps while the amp is with him. It will cost quite a bit (500$ or more for V-Caps) but it will totally transform the amp. It is a much better upgrade then some NOS ECC803's.

For 68k$ I'd much rather have the APL NWO player at 30k$ even though I'd have to wait a few months for it. It is a UX-1 with everything thrown out but the TOTL VRDS-Neo transports. The Scarlatti uses the same lower end transport as your P-03 does, but it's still miles ahead of anything else out there though there has been a bit of an awakening lately with regards to the drive quality with Marantz and Accuphase producing their own models.

I was well into a response, almost a full page, when my palm hit something on this damn laptop and refreshed the page. Now I have to go. More to follow once again a bit later, with a keyboard and mouse.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

I was well into a response, almost a full page, when my palm hit something on this damn laptop and refreshed the page. Now I have to go. More to follow once again a bit later, with a keyboard and mouse.
rolleyes.gif

I hate when that happens. Try pressing the back key on the browser next time it happens as he post might still be there. The newest Firefox does this at least.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

I hate when that happens. Try pressing the back key on the browser next time it happens as he post might still be there. The newest Firefox does this at least.

Please forgive this seemingly tardy response. We had severe weather and flooding (Oklahoma) that has kept me busy during my brief visit home. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to send the Aristeaus to Justin for voltage mods. It will have to wait until my next visit. Also, I was unable to listen the Scarlatti, my dCS and ARC dealer suffered some flooding in his house. When I get back, I will continue listening to the HE 60's as well as letting my GS-X burn in for further use with the HD 650's configured with the Cardas balanced cable. I also have a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9's waiting for me. I have never heard any of their headphones, but it seemed like a safe bet to order them.

More when I return (I am traveling again tomorrow night). I am excited about the 20.1's and the mods I can do. I am going to order some Mye stands tonight.

Cheers,

Bob

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Please forgive this seemingly tardy response. We had severe weather and flooding (Oklahoma) that has kept me busy during my brief visit home. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to send the Aristeaus to Justin for voltage mods. It will have to wait until my next visit. Also, I was unable to listen the Scarlatti, my dCS and ARC dealer suffered some flooding in his house. When I get back, I will continue listening to the HE 60's as well as letting my GS-X burn in for further use with the HD 650's configured with the Cardas balanced cable. I also have a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9's waiting for me. I have never heard any of their headphones, but it seemed like a safe bet to order them.

More when I return (I am traveling again tomorrow night). I am excited about the 20.1's and the mods I can do. I am going to order some Mye stands tonight.

Cheers,

Bob

Flooding is never good. The sea is about 15 meters from my house and the weather can get really bad here in the winter, so bad that the western most part of Reykjavik (where I live) has turned into an island. I really should move all my most valuable things to a more secure location...
biggrin.gif

The Mye stands will be a good start. Planars need something sturdy to push against or we might all just buy dynamics...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back