I have given up on finding any HE 90's, but that's OK...........
Aug 23, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be pretty surprised with what Sony has accomplished in higher end audio market. Have you heard of Sony CDP-R10 and DAS-R10. Their DAC and CD trasport are too die for in Japan and just as expensive as your digital frontend. Sony MDR-R10 was also introduced together with serveral of the "R" series. They are very difficult to obtain but if you manage to land one, you won't be disappoint. You will be surprised if Sony wants to accomplish anything, they can, and they can do very well too.

BTW, the "R" is for renaissance not reference.

While the CDP-R10 was indeed a pretty good unit the DAS-R10 was a mixed bag. The DAS-R1 on the other hand is a very nice unit and one of the best dacs out there and I have one working it's way back to me...
biggrin.gif
Single Crown TDA1541D's properly implemented and weighing in at 17kgs. Seeing a Sony unit with Riken resistors and Nippon Chemicon caps is a great sight but I will literally fill it with Black Gates and silver wire. I'll also add an internal USB input and a transformer coupled XLR output bypassing the output stage.

Sony of today will never do anything like this again since the R-lines were really the work of only a handful of men with great vision. Sony building an electrostatic speaker (SS-R10) because one of the engineers just loved the Quad ESL and wanted to improve upon it is quite remarkable.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 45
spritzer....it is about time for you to replace the G08 to compliment your fine electrostats headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

spritzer....it is about time for you to replace the G08 to compliment your fine electrostats headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

The DAS-R1 will be for my secondary system mated with a CDP-R1 as well as a USB link. The G08 is on it's way out as soon as I get a new transport for it from the Meridian distributor but I'm not sure what I'm replacing it with. Maybe a highly modified Esoteric X-01 or something like that...

For those interested here are pictures, both inside and out, of many Sony players and their specs. The R-line is pretty sweet indeed! Now I wished I had sprung for EMS shipping...
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #34 of 45
Yep...the "R" series are amazing. I hope to one too. I'm not sure which I should get, the R1a or R1 b/c the CDP-R10 is out of my price range.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #35 of 45
While the "a" added more features and a better drive they used a worse circuit topology, chips and above all else put in a pretty bad dac. I'm sure it sounds good but a properly modded R1 will be much better. Now only if the damn post could ship it already since they don't really like packages above 20kgs.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

You will be pretty surprised with what Sony has accomplished in higher end audio market. Have you heard of Sony CDP-R10 and DAS-R10. Their DAC and CD trasport are too die for in Japan and just as expensive as your digital frontend. Sony MDR-R10 was also introduced together with serveral of the "R" series. They are very difficult to obtain but if you manage to land one, you won't be disappoint. You will be surprised if Sony wants to accomplish anything, they can, and they can do very well too.

BTW, the "R" is for renaissance not reference.

Forgive the late response - I have been flying for 36 hours, and just returned overseas. Thanks for the tips. I will respond in kind when I have settled in.

Bob

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice stuff. You can get a lot of performance out of this old equipment with some modernization. The resistors and cps start to drift and the wire was horrible so a few upgrades could be very nice. Many people consider this sacrilege but I'm after the performance, not the nostalgia.

A Dynaco 70 or an old Mcintosh would be ideal for the K1k. You can do better with a nice SET but it's much more expensive.

Spritzer - I just returned overseas and really have not got it quite together yet. I look forward to continuing our dialogue.

I have some new Edition 9's I am looking forward to playing with this weekend.

More thoughts to follow.

Bob

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Good to hear your back and with some new toys
icon10.gif

Just a quick first impression; using the GS-X, the Ultrasone Edition 9's are going to be outstanding. They seem to offer a very good compromise between the speed of the HE 60's and the full bass response of the HD-650's. I have only had them going for about 2 hours fresh out of the box, but I am very impressed so far.

More to follow.
icon10.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick first impression; using the GS-X, the Ultrasone Edition 9's are going to be outstanding. They seem to offer a very good compromise between the speed of the HE 60's and the full bass response of the HD-650's. I have only had them going for about 2 hours fresh out of the box, but I am very impressed so far.

More to follow.
icon10.gif

eek.gif
Dynamics and transistors is enough for me to run for the hills...
eek.gif

Good to hear you are happy with them. Are you running them stock or balanced?

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #41 of 45
Yep....the Ed.9 has a pretty good bass response but it can dominate the rest of the frequecies.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #42 of 45
I love my 4070s (unless it is really hot, they're always my first choice, with the K-1000s running a close second - although the K's win in hot weather), however I also found them a little strident/bright when cranked. I run a solid state Stax amp, which has enough juice, and for me a slight EQ really smooths them out:

64 hz +3dB
125 hz +1.5dB
4khz -1.5dB
8khz -1dB

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

eek.gif
Dynamics and transistors is enough for me to run for the hills...
eek.gif

Good to hear you are happy with them. Are you running them stock or balanced?

Stock so far, but I will change to balanced the next time I go home. I am still kind of jet-lagged and lazy, but I plan on hooking up the EAR HP-4 tomorrow night. They really are good, and I must say, I have not heard the "open" sound they have from the HD 650's with the GS-X. I have not really broken it in, however.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Yep....the Ed.9 has a pretty good bass response but it can dominate the rest of the frequecies.

My first impressions are very good, but I do see your point. I only listened to a few albums before I passed out early last night. I need to listen to some of my "reference" disks tonight.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 4070s (unless it is really hot, they're always my first choice, with the K-1000s running a close second - although the K's win in hot weather), however I also found them a little strident/bright when cranked. I run a solid state Stax amp, which has enough juice, and for me a slight EQ really smooths them out:

64 hz +3dB
125 hz +1.5dB
4khz -1.5dB
8khz -1dB

I can't wait to hear my 4070's with a different amp. I have very high expectations. The SRM-727 is just not a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back