I have found no price-point equal to the K-550s.
May 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

armyowalgreens

Head-Fier
After almost a year of ownership, I can say with extreme confidence that I have been unable to find equal performance from any closed cans at the 300 dollar price-point. Absolutely none.

Sure, there are cans with better bass response or isolation. Hell, there are many cans with a better, more secure fit on my head. Not to mention, the K550s are humungous in physical size and can be a tad difficult to pack at times.

But as far as roominess and realness of soundstage and competent lows, mids and highs, the K550s stand alone. They are absolutely astonishing. Especially if we are referring specifically to rendering mids and highs.

Anyway, yeah, this is less a conversation and more an exclamation on my part.

May 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 12
Yeah Tyll said they were second best closed cans to Denons, which don't isolate near as well

May 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 12
So I've never had the opportunity to listen to the K550's, my goto portable has been the ESW9. It sounds fantastic, well balanced throughout the spectrum, smooth/warm, nothing recessed or emphasized. It is comfortable as anything out there even though it is supra-aural, you will be hard pressed to beat the lambskin earpads. With its wood cups it looks really great, I don't think theres a portable that can beat it in looks. But forget looks, its just nicely balanced in its sound and really really comfortable. So there you have a challenger, they are well below $300 depending on where you look, bought my set on the forums here below $200, I don't plan on selling them anytime soon.

May 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 12
pro900 n dt770/600 ohms are both v competent at this price point ( in the buysell forum :p )
albeit slightly diff sound presentation, but its in the same ball arena.

May 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 12
I've had my K 550s for, I think, about nine months and I do find them to be extremely excellent.

My AKG K702s have an even more defined sound overall. K550s smooth out the sound of the instruments slightly whereas the K702s do not do this at all.

For me the K550s fit very well indeed and so the isolation is excellent.

I could very happily listen to all music with the K550s. They really are that good.

May 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 12
I tend to use this k550 for classicals....the separation,clarity n speed;
But not for vocals. I need more intimacy.:D:D

May 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 12
They don't fit my head so they sound absolutely abysmal when I tried them, but hey, it's good that you enjoy yours, should've posted it on appreciation thread though.

May 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Hello everyone!

So here we are! Yet another very happy user of AKG K550! I too have demoed them for around 45min? Hehe..can't afford to put it down! 
size]
 There is a lot of headphone that does better than AKG K550 if you divide them into several categories but overall, it's a very steady pair of headphone and pretty much nothing can beat it! The unique 3D-Soundstage, precious instrument separation and not to mention the imaging. If you still find it not enough, the details! I like how detail and smooth is the mids on the K550!

The only one pair of headphone that comes close to the AKG K550 under $300 in the closed category is the PSB M4U1. I must say, it's a good alternative to K550 IF the K550 does not seal on your head or ears nicely. The reason why K550 still manage to beat these PSB M4U1 to me, is because the PSB still lacks a bit of soundstage, slightly like very little loose in details. Lastly, the bass does not go down as deep as K550. Others are still, very a comparable headphone! 

Things that I like PSB over the K550 is that it is more portable, detachable cable and comes with more accessories. However, these are not at all important at some point. 

OP! You forgot to mention how well is the AKG K550 build! I don't think, there is any headphone under $300 made of mostly metal and as sturdy as K550! 

Quick sharing in my opinion! 
Billson 
size]
 [I don't drink but hey! Let's talk it as a hmmm...any drinks that you like :D ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back