I have been scammed and I need your help
Mar 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I posted an ad on Craigslist with my phone number.

The scammer contacted me and told me that he will send me a security code to confirm that I am the correct person.

I received a phone call with an automated message shortly after, giving me a security code. I didn't know what it was for. I just received a phone call and the message was 5 numbers.

I gave it to the scammer, now I realized that it was a mistake.

I believe he used my phone number to process some autorization and part of the autorization was the phone call and security code numbers. I believe it was used to verify that my phone number was legit.

Now the scammer has my email address, phone number, and a security code.

Does anyone know what he could possibly be using it for?

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 11
I believe there is a phone verifcation process on Craigslist and the person doesn't want to use his own phone number.

You need to verify your phone number for some type of postings.

I am not sure why they wanted to use someone else's number.

It is still very puzzling to me.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 11
looks like he wanted your info to post fradulent ads on craigslist.

Craigslist requires that you authenticate your account with your phone these days and sends you a 5 digit code before making your ads go live or for reposting.

Contact craigslist and let them know what has happened.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks Sacchu, I sent an e-mail to Craigslist to let them know what happened.

I thought I was a smart guy, but I got fooled into giving him my security code.

I guess he must have had his number banned and now he needs to get other people's

numbers to try to rip people off.

If that is the worst that can happen, then I don't feel so bad.

I thought he may have used that information to apply for credit cards or something bigger.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I should stop trying to sell stuff there. Seems to be a magnet for scammers.

I was a little paranoid earlier, so I changed my password.

But after thinking about it for a while, I realized the only thing this guy can do is post some ads.

I don't know what kind of scam he is into, but I think what may happen is that someone will complain about it and it will link back to my phone number.

Then Craigslist may prohibit me from selling stuff. I guess that is the worst thing that can happen.

I am really kind of dissapointed with myself because I saw all the warning signs of a scam, but I wanted to try to sell my stuff so I went along with his request and gave him the security code.

Now that I think about it, it made no sense what he was telling me and I was caught off guard. I thought I just didn't understand the process well enough and he kept persistently asking for the code.

I feel like a such a fool.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I should stop trying to sell stuff there. Seems to be a magnet for scammers.

I was a little paranoid earlier, so I changed my password.

But after thinking about it for a while, I realized the only thing this guy can do is post some ads.

I don't know what kind of scam he is into, but I think what may happen is that someone will complain about it and it will link back to my phone number.

Then Craigslist may prohibit me from selling stuff. I guess that is the worst thing that can happen.

I am really kind of dissapointed with myself because I saw all the warning signs of a scam, but I wanted to try to sell my stuff so I went along with his request and gave him the security code.

Now that I think about it, it made no sense what he was telling me and I was caught off guard. I thought I just didn't understand the process well enough and he kept persistently asking for the code.

I feel like a such a fool.

Many people sell stuff on Craigslist..it's fine.. if you learned that is.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 11
google voice number FTW. Plus who the hell asks you to verify a code to make sure its them on craigslist? sorry you got had!

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 11
I sent Craigslist an email with my phone number telling them what happened.

Craigslist has not sent me a reply, but it would have been nice to hear back from them saying that they are investigating.

Anyhow deviousdragger, does google voice require you to enter in a security code?

If they do, I want to send them an email too to try to stop the scammer, because I am not 100% sure it was being used for posting on craigslist.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 11
What i meant is, i use google voice as my number to do all my transactions on craigslist. I have never and will never actually put my cell phone on there, or my actual email that i use on a day to day basis. always meet in public places and never ship anything. He most likely needed a cell number to verify the postings that hes putting on craigslist. probably to sell some fake beats or some other fake crap. not much you can do about it now. maybe change your number, but thats about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back