I have been insulted by someone of great intellect and i feel like trash. How should i react to this?
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #76 of 92

Quote:
I sure hope so.

To try to make this a bit more on topic. Being a contrarian isn't always a bad thing, but you really have to examine your own position as strongly as those that you are opposing.

Nice chart. Since TCE ratio is non-GAAP, I'm not quite sure how to make to an evaluation of this. I wonder why both 2008 TCE ratios are increased but US banks received the bailout that year.

I suspect you would enjoy majoring in political science or economics when you get into college.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
pretty much. canada's banking system is solid.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #77 of 92
Most of us have heard the "Serenity Prayer" but it's only usually the first 4 lines that are quoted.

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

There now is a non-religous version frequntly used in mindfulness & acceptance therapy

May I have the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as part of the pathway to peace;
Taking this world as it is,
not as I would have it
That I may be reasonably happy in my life

Make that your mantra as you start each day.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #79 of 92
Desiderata needs to go here too.

[size=medium] Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, 
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
[/size]
[size=medium] As far as possible, without surrender, 
be on good terms with all persons. 
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; 
and listen to others, 
even to the dull and the ignorant; 
they too have their story. 
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; 
they are vexatious to the spirit.
[/size]
[size=medium] If you compare yourself with others, 
you may become vain or bitter, 
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. 
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. 
Keep interested in your own career, however humble; 
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
[/size]
[size=medium] Exercise caution in your business affairs, 
for the world is full of trickery. 
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; 
many persons strive for high ideals, 
and everywhere life is full of heroism. 
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. 
Neither be cynical about love, 
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, 
it is as perennial as the grass.
[/size]
[size=medium] Take kindly the counsel of the years, 
gracefully surrendering the things of youth. 
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. 
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. 
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
[/size]
[size=medium] Beyond a wholesome discipline, 
be gentle with yourself. 
You are a child of the universe 
no less than the trees and the stars; 
you have a right to be here. 
And whether or not it is clear to you, 
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
[/size]
[size=medium] Therefore be at peace with God, 
whatever you conceive Him to be. 
And whatever your labors and aspirations, 
in the noisy confusion of life, 
keep peace in your soul. 
[/size]
[size=medium] With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, 
it is still a beautiful world. 
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] -- Max Ehrmann[/size]

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #80 of 92
My father introduced me to the Desiderata after my apartment burnt down. Thanks for posting.

Quote:

[size=medium] Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, 
and remember what peace there may be in silence...
[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #82 of 92

Quote:

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; 
[size=medium] and listen to others, 
even to the dull and the ignorant; 
they too have their story. 
[/size]
[size=medium] .....[/size]
Take kindly the counsel of the years, 
[size=medium] gracefully surrendering the things of youth. 
[/size]
[size=medium] .....
You are a child of the universe 
no less than the trees and the stars; 
you have a right to be here. 
[/size]
[size=medium] .....[/size]
[size=medium] With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, 
it is still a beautiful world. 
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

Thanks for posting this Currawong - it's magnificent.  Just snipped and requoted a few portions that particularly struck me.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #83 of 92
It's worth sticking somewhere prominent and reading every day.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #85 of 92

Quote:
It's worth sticking somewhere prominent and reading every day.

One step ahead of you there 
wink_face.gif
 (already copied and saved) - it's going on the wall - will get it printed properly and framed.  Thanks again.

Old dog, new tricks .... still learning :)

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #86 of 92
There's little point talking to people about issues they aren't interested in talking about, all that happens is you become frustrated and start to censor yourself, consciously and subconsciously. Even your own family may not be interested, learn to deal with it. Most people today don't consider it their responsibility to be concerned about certain topics. We're taught in school to think that there are smart technocrats and bureaucrats handling all the important stuff while we sit back and relax. There are people who are just as concerned as you about issues you are interested in, and when you get into contact with people who think like you you won't have to censor yourself anymore, and the discussions you have won't be argumentative and discordant, but conducive to thought.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #87 of 92
Your perception of their intelligence is probably not correct. In high school, everything always seems more dramatic than it actually is, and this person isn't showing any sign of real intelligence, he's just having his late-teen egotistical "I love myself so much" conversation with himself. Some people might say you're reacting the way he wants you to, but your reaction is really irrelevant because I'm telling you, he's really just saying, "Oh dear, I'm truly awesome" to himself. Your negative reaction right now is likely unpreventable but eventually, you'll grow out of stuff like this, you'll react differently, and probably forget about stupid high school conversations like this...I saw a huge change during my college years. I became much more focused on my career ahead and for some reason very suddenly adapted a very different mindset. One day I was sitting around bored and realized that I didn't particularly care what anyone thought of me outside of my academic and professional life, which is the polar opposite of how I used to be...very strange, to say the least. So again, no need to worry, 5 years down the road, you will look back and have the exact same "AH HA!" moment I had during college. You'll also learn to mentally "shelve" things like this so you can deal with them later so they don't stay on your mind and bug the heck out of you. The human mind is amazing, it's always adapting and changing throughout life.

Basically, you most certainly have no need to worry about this. You'll always be "modifying" your own behavior over time, so just take whatever lessons you can learn from this, apply them, and move on.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #88 of 92

Quote:
Your perception of their intelligence is probably not correct. In high school, everything always seems more dramatic than it actually is, and this person isn't showing any sign of real intelligence, he's just having his late-teen egotistical "I love myself so much" conversation with himself. Some people might say you're reacting the way he wants you to, but your reaction is really irrelevant because I'm telling you, he's really just saying, "Oh dear, I'm truly awesome" to himself. Your negative reaction right now is likely unpreventable but eventually, you'll grow out of stuff like this, you'll react differently, and probably forget about stupid high school conversations like this...I saw a huge change during my college years. I became much more focused on my career ahead and for some reason very suddenly adapted a very different mindset. One day I was sitting around bored and realized that I didn't particularly care what anyone thought of me outside of my academic and professional life, which is the polar opposite of how I used to be...very strange, to say the least. So again, no need to worry, 5 years down the road, you will look back and have the exact same "AH HA!" moment I had during college. You'll also learn to mentally "shelve" things like this so you can deal with them later so they don't stay on your mind and bug the heck out of you. The human mind is amazing, it's always adapting and changing throughout life.

Basically, you most certainly have no need to worry about this. You'll always be "modifying" your own behavior over time, so just take whatever lessons you can learn from this, apply them, and move on.

actually he is intelligent. he came in second in the provincial (canadian state) math final and he is in the honors club. but im done high school so i might as well let this go behind me and start life from scratch.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #89 of 92
Two of the most intelligent people I ever met online were both brilliant at manipulating women into falling madly in love with them. When said women met up with them, they found out that, respectively, the first was purely looking for a wife (then later, after marriage one woman ended up desperately trying to escape with her sanity) and the second was a psychopath.  There is clever at worldly things, then there is truly wise. The latter is very rare.

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #90 of 92

Quote:
actually he is intelligent. he came in second in the provincial (canadian state) math final and he is in the honors club. but im done high school so i might as well let this go behind me and start life from scratch.

Book-smart != intelligent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back