I have a question about the new wave of "pure" beryllium drivers.
Aug 9, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 48
There are great headphones and IEMs with different kinds of materials and designs as well. The difference that makes one better than the other is how those materials and designs are implemented. Just having a certain kind of driver doesn't mean that it sounds better. A lot of the discussion in audiophile forums about technical issues like this take place in a contextual vacuum. They discuss one aspect of a design and don't take into account the entire system. A transducer is subject to the laws of physics. There are dozens of factors at play. Sales literature always focuses on one aspect comparing it to competitors. The assumption is that if that one aspect is better, the overall sound is better. That isn't the case. Transducers aren't as cut and dried as electronics.

I would not recommend buying a set of headphones or IEMs just because they have beryllium drivers. The ones that fit that definition might be totally wrong for a particular person.

We’re pretty well aligned on this given the additional detail. The strengths and weaknesses of transducer material can be either enhanced or degraded based on the overall design and the competency of the designer. The best designers leverage materials based on the rest of the headphone’s construction and response targets.

How the marketing department chooses to spin the engineering is where things typically go off the rails.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #47 of 48
There are great headphones and IEMs with different kinds of materials and designs as well. The difference that makes one better than the other is how those materials and designs are implemented. Just having a certain kind of driver doesn't mean that it sounds better. A lot of the discussion in audiophile forums about technical issues like this take place in a contextual vacuum. They discuss one aspect of a design and don't take into account the entire system. A transducer is subject to the laws of physics. There are dozens of factors at play. Sales literature always focuses on one aspect comparing it to competitors. The assumption is that if that one aspect is better, the overall sound is better. That isn't the case. Transducers aren't as cut and dried as electronics.

I would not recommend buying a set of headphones or IEMs just because they have beryllium drivers. The ones that fit that definition might be totally wrong for a particular person.

My frustration comes from straw men being propped up over and over, and from someone saying "nobody is saying x, y and z." right after I've said x, y and z twice. Respect is earned. I give respect where it's deserved. I'll try to ignore posters who single me out to dog me, but I'll point out that if it was happening to any of you, you wouldn't be any more patient than I am. Perhaps because it isn't you, you haven't noticed the repeated pattern. It's a lot easier to be tolerant and patient when you aren't the one being dogged.
But that's not what you said to the poster! You're living in revisionist history! You said design implementation was the MOST important and then leaped right to downplaying exotic materials and generalizing that words like PURE signal audiophoolery, snake oil, and make little difference! You didn't even acknowledge the potential of beryllium in the slightest! You were damn near COMPLETELY DISMISSIVE!

And you're doing it again by throwing out "straw man" when I just listed scientific facts about the properties of beryllium!!!

You're out of your freaking mind if you think you're the beacon of objectivity in this thread. Castleofargh you are not. Try harder.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #48 of 48
I haven't heard a good beryllium IEM yet. I consider it snake oil because no matter how good it's stiffness is, they still tuned them like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back