I have $350 and in a few weeks $550 and I need the best Port amp for HD600/650/800
Apr 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat
Any suggestions? Please only comment if you've used the amp with the HD600/650/800's Thank you!

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 20
How about a Lisa III?

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 20
i ve heard that its very good, and it has great reputation, but i ve also heard that it is not very good as a portable device in terms of its weight and battery life. i think its has the best high according to Skylab, but that s all i know about it. good luck!

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 20
The RSA Protector has been touted as capable of driving very high impedance phones, and along with the RSA website, a few people here have said that it works really well with their Senn. 650/800. It's just under $500, if I recall and it's just an amp, not an amp/dac, but if you only need an amp, that's what I'd go with...

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 20
I have the HD600, HD800, RSA SR71a, Protector, Predator, Mustang and have heard Lisa III, Iqube, Pico amp/DAC. The only ones that I would recommed is the Protector and SR71a. Lisa III can do the job but it is really not a portable amp, it is a transportable amp to be exact and I don't know if that will meet you needs. The Predator, Iqube, and Pico are all good amps but they are just barely able to do the job and you will hear some clipping at times, especially if you like to listen to high volumn. The Alo RX, is another choice at least in terms of power on paper, but I have not heard it and cannot recommed it as a result.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HD600, HD800, RSA SR71a, Protector, Predator, Mustang and have heard Lisa III, Iqube, Pico amp/DAC. The only ones that I would recommed is the Protector and SR71a. Lisa III can do the job but it is really not a portable amp, it is a transportable amp to be exact and I don't know if that will meet you needs. The Predator, Iqube, and Pico are all good amps but they are just barely able to do the job and you will hear some clipping at times, especially if you like to listen to high volumn. The Alo RX, is another choice at least in terms of power on paper, but I have not heard it and cannot recommed it as a result.

X2, except I think the Pico is great with my HD600.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hi Jalo, how does your HD600 sound with Ray's Mustang? any satisfactions?

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 20
To JC and RayXu, I think both the Pico and the Mustang are great amps. The problem I have is I like to listen to my music on the loud side so when I play the HD600 through these amps, I frequently will turn the volume past the point of clipping. For others who like to listen at a low volume that may not be a problem. But even at low volume, the Pico will do better than the Mustang only because of the power resevrse available. SQ wise they are great amps.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 20
Jalo: If an amp starts clipping, it will damage the headphones. Going by their spec, your amp suggestions don't surprise me, as they more or better battery power in them. It would be interesting to have someone compare a Protector with a Lisa.

Blasto: I'd otherwise advise against using a portable amp as a main amp to drive expensive headphones and, as well, advise against buying HD-800s if all you are going to use them with is a portable amp, as they would be a waste of money. For further understanding, read the link in my sig about sufficient volume versus sufficient amping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 20
Are you saying a portable amp, even one as highend as a Lisa will damage a pair of HD800's? You might be under the impression I will be walking around with the HD800's and the Lisa in my pocket, to an extent that might be true, but usually will find a nice quiet place to sit and then bust them out. I have a damn good full sized hi fi system, my goal is find a portable solution that will allow me to, well, leave the apartment I don't go out much and it just not very healthy. Recommend me a super hi end portable system the sky is the limit, here is what I had in mind; A Sony Walkman X1061 with a lineout into a Lisa III XP with a pair of Sennheiser HD800's

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Blasto: I'd otherwise advise against using a portable amp as a main amp to drive expensive headphones and, as well, advise against buying HD-800s if all you are going to use them with is a portable amp, as they would be a waste of money. For further understanding, read the link in my sig about sufficient volume versus sufficient amping.
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back