I have $350 and in a few weeks $550 and I need the best Port amp for HD600/650/800
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 20
Brandino, I don't think the lisa will damage the HD800, but the limitation on the power supply will only give you a couple of hours at most unless you use the separate power supply but it will be like carrying two bricks with you. I don't think you will do it for too long. I would use ALO rx, SR71a or Protector. But I would strongly encourage you to try them out first before you jump into it if you insist on the HD800. Becasue you may not like what you hear. Your problem is not with the amps, it is with your choice of headphones. There are many other good portable headphones that are good for this purposes like the JH13, JH16, UE18, ED8, ESW10jpn, hfi-780 that are very easy to drive but give wonderful enjoyment of music and may even be better than the HD600/650 line.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 20
There is someone on another forum, he is loaded, and he has the HD800's and the X1061, he said his next purchase will be the Lisa III XP, he can tell me how long it lasts and how it sounds... I guess I'll wait until then or if someone has a better alternative (?) I have a pair of HD650's if anyone has any amp ideas, keep in mind I use them in a quiet location so the fact they are open headphones doesn't matter much

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasto_Brandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying a portable amp, even one as highend as a Lisa will damage a pair of HD800's? You might be under the impression I will be walking around with the HD800's and the Lisa in my pocket, to an extent that might be true, but usually will find a nice quiet place to sit and then bust them out. I have a damn good full sized hi fi system, my goal is find a portable solution that will allow me to, well, leave the apartment I don't go out much and it just not very healthy. Recommend me a super hi end portable system the sky is the limit, here is what I had in mind; A Sony Walkman X1061 with a lineout into a Lisa III XP with a pair of Sennheiser HD800's

You'll only damage headphones if you turn an amp up so high that it starts clipping, that is, where it runs out of power and starts sending raw DC power to the headphones. It's the same with speaker amps if you use an under-powered amp with speakers and turn the volume up too high.

As for the Lisa III: Try it and report back how the combo goes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #19 of 20
If you want something you can easily carry around from location to location, but with enough current swing to make your full sized cans sing, don't forget the ALO Rx. The battery life is absurd for how much drive it can manage. I use mine with W3's, and can't get near the highest volume, even on low gain. By all accounts, you will not be wanting for power if yo go for the Rx, plus it falls nicely at the $350 price point.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 20
when i decided to stpo using desktop amps, i used pico, 3move and d3 python with hd650, hd600 and dt990 250ohm. they were not as strong as desktop amps (in my case, littledot mk4se and gilmore lite) but i was more than satisfied with the sound coming from those portable amps.
if you must go with the portables, i recommend headamp pico because that's what i used with the big cans in the past.
pico slim does not have as much power as the original pico.

i havent heard rs protector but according to what i've read, it's the best portable to drive big cans right now but only when used in balanced mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back