I have $328,700 to spend on some new speakers, can you help me out?
Sep 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 39
Use $10k of them to buy a really nice pair, then put the rest in a investment fund!

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:
Isn't high end audio and investment fund? It retains its value more so than other tech.

Not really.  Audio goes in circles, like fashion.  Certain tubes, speaker types, etc. will be hot for awhile then cool off.

If you go back a few years here, you'll see how popular the Sugden HeadMaster, Grace 901, Melos, and a few other amps were.  When was the last time you heard of those?

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
Not really.  Audio goes in circles, like fashion.  Certain tubes, speaker types, etc. will be hot for awhile then cool off.

If you go back a few years here, you'll see how popular the Sugden HeadMaster, Grace 901, Melos, and a few other amps were.  When was the last time you heard of those?

I was comparing to other tech. In a year or two there will still be demand for an HD800 or a DacMagic. In a year or two there will be no demand for a Droid X or a Core i7 chip. 
But I still made a very weak point, I know. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 39
i7 chip? Heck, I'm still running a 2GHz single-core Athlon64 on one machine.
smily_headphones1.gif

For whatever reason, $200 for a stepped attenuator seems like a better purchase than a computer upgrade. This place does funny things to people.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 39
you didn't say anything about your room, where you want to place them. it's very important when choosing speakers, no point in buying speakers that will occupy half of your room.

personally, i would discuss this with some respected retailer with broad selection. that way you listen to speakers before buying them and he/she can help you with lots of things (amp to complement speakers, setting speakers up in your room afterwards, etc...) don't ever buy speakers for this kind of money unheard, or based on opinion of people that did not hear loads of high-end speakers. and take you time when making decision, some speakers that sound stellar at first listening can turn to be a pain in the ass in the longrun.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 39
Isn't high end audio and investment fund? It retains its value more so than other tech. 

It may be, if you buy the right product.
Most certainly higher possibility of growth if you put you money elsewhere though - like real estate, renewal energy, ...

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 39
Kai I would rather spend it on a world tour while I listen to my RSA Hornet!

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
I was comparing to other tech. In a year or two there will still be demand for an HD800 or a DacMagic. In a year or two there will be no demand for a Droid X or a Core i7 chip. 
But I still made a very weak point, I know. 

Cellphones and computer hardware will never go anywhere but down, though there are *very* rare exceptions. If you happen to have a 3DFX Voodoo 5 6000 graphics card for example, someone will pay a lot for that on eBay. It's purely a novelty/nostalgia item though. It wouldn't even work in a modern PC, and even if it could, the performance would be laughable. Other than items like the unreleased swansong from a once beloved company though, computer hardware and electronics are money losers. 

Headphones or speakers and to a lesser extent DACs aren't really the same. You can hook up a Klipschorn and judge it purely on its audio performance, it doesn't matter how old it is. I think you could make the argument that audio and photography equipment share a lot in common. Certain lenses are highly prized for awhile, and then interest shifts. Both have an "obsolete" analog format that some people still prefer to the digital replacement. You can still shoot with a 50 year old camera, just like you can listen to 50 year old speakers. Nobody is going to use a 50 year old computer, or talk on Gordon Gekko's cellphone from Wall Street.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
Cellphones and computer hardware will never go anywhere but down, though there are *very* rare exceptions. If you happen to have a 3DFX Voodoo 5 6000 graphics card for example, someone will pay a lot for that on eBay. It's purely a novelty/nostalgia item though. It wouldn't even work in a modern PC, and even if it could, the performance would be laughable. Other than items like the unreleased swansong from a once beloved company though, computer hardware and electronics are money losers. 

Headphones or speakers and to a lesser extent DACs aren't really the same. You can hook up a Klipschorn and judge it purely on its audio performance, it doesn't matter how old it is. I think you could make the argument that audio and photography equipment share a lot in common. Certain lenses are highly prized for awhile, and then interest shifts. Both have an "obsolete" analog format that some people still prefer to the digital replacement. You can still shoot with a 50 year old camera, just like you can listen to 50 year old speakers. Nobody is going to use a 50 year old computer, or talk on Gordon Gekko's cellphone from Wall Street.

Yeah but the big thing that separates them is you don't have... how to put this... "questionable people" using super expensive USB cables for their cameras and claiming to see the difference. Or buying super expensive tri-pods made out of obscene materials to dampen the camera and absorb EMI to get clearer shots with better depth. Or saying firewire is better than USB. Well ok back in the day there was a debate FW/SUB but it had more to do with driver support and practicality than some other ambiguous concern. USB has gotten much better/ more standardized since then and it is no longer a topic of debate.

But yeah, except for some extreme exceptions, PC parts will only go down you are absolutely correct.

OP, with that kind of cash I am surprised no one mentioned room treatment.

Get some crazy DIYer to build you epic speakers at a fraction of the cost these hi-fi companies charge, and then get a super good acoustic room treatment. How I would love to have a Anechoic chamber in my house :p.

Or do what UE said and invest the money and use the profits to fund your hobby.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #29 of 39
These speakers are made in England?  Do Wallace and Grommet come over to do the setup? 

Actually, I've heard some crazy good custom horn systems that cost much more and look even weirder.  As for "commercial" products, I heard a system made with Goto drivers.  The drivers alone cost more than these speakers and you have to make your own cabinets for the woofers.

There is something for everyone and his wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back