I HATE YOU... I HATE YOU ALL!!!
Dec 8, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #16 of 36
The end comes when you've hit your goal for audio, within a set price range, and you're happy with the sound. I mean, at some point you're simply not going to be able to afford to go much further pricewise (which is the brick wall for me), and you will have already sampled everything within a certain price range. I simply set a price goal for each of my components, and I keep in my head a very specific sound that I'm looking for. I've definitely hit it now, and can really say that I'm done.

It's just a matter of setting some price goals for each component and sticking to them I think...if you don't set price goals and refuse to stop and try to blatantly break those price goals, that's when it becomes a dangerous obsession.

Dec 8, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
If there's an end in sight, it seems to involve either great quantities of income or a close brush with the bankruptcy courts.

Truer words were never spoken. Audio reproduction is a moving target. The more money you put in relative to what you can afford, the closer to the end you hope you've come. Then the manufacturer comes out with a new and better model...
tongue.gif

The real end comes when you realize that you're paying more attention to the equipment than the music. At that point, IMO it's best just to stop and listen. Go to concerts and rediscover why you're doing this in the first place.

When the equipment is the goal rather than the means, you've reached the end, although probably not the end you were looking for.

Dec 8, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 36
I think one can enjoy listening to the music and analyzing the equipment at the same time. Maybe I am gifted in that. I have no complaints there since I presently enjoy both hobbies.

Perfection in audio equipment is a bit like the speed of light. In theory, you know it's there but the closer you get to it, the more inrementally expensive and difficult it's going to be to get more and more marginal gains. Diminishing returns and all that.

What frustrates me a bit is the lack of balance people have in their systems. I think the HeadRoom Max is a fine amplifier and I don't really hold it against anyone for buying one even at $1600 and pairing it with Sennheiser's best dynamic headphone and a Cardas or StefanAudio Art replacement cable all sits well with me. But then occasionally I see such a rig paired with a cheap CD player and I think to myself, "What the hell?" I know most people (myself included) can't afford to do everything at once, so sometimes the upgrades come in pieces and the amp may outclass the source for a bit. But it seems like a lot of people just blow off the source indefinitely while collecting amps and headphones and even cables. This is just bizarre to me. Attack the weakest length and you'll get further along that continuum toward perfection.

I think occasionally people do find a resting place. Keiso found one in his Stax Classic II and dparrish seems quite content with his HD600/Max/XA777ES. But resting stops aren't really destinations and I think if you do enjoy the hobby you shouldn't be frustrated by that fact. Just try to enjoy the ride and don't drive so fast that it's dangerous.

Dec 8, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #19 of 36
OK... so what would be the best replacement cable for the HD600? Anybody?

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman

Depends on who you ask and what you are hoping to accomplish!!! I owned the Equinox cable and loved it except for the ergonomic issues I had with it. Once I got rid of it and went back to the stock cable the sound went back into a recessed and laid back sound that I didn't like. The Cardas is for those who don't like certain aspects of the Senn's sound, and want to fix it. The Equinox just took the sound of the Senns and took the sound up a few notches, without modifying the overall sound characteristics.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 36
Deends on your budget. If you can only afford to buy a Clou, get it!! If you can afford the Cardas or Equinox, get it!! ANYTHING is better than the stock cable, so anything will be a step in the right direction. Read some articles here under cables and tweaks on the Cardas and Equinox cables, it is worthwhile reading.

I personally returned my Equinox since the weight, stiffness, and other ergonomic issues, and a desire to get my AT W1000s!! But that decision was made after 28 days of trying to get to like this cable, but I never could bring myself to get over these issues. Whenever I lookedover my shoulder the piece that came out of the driverhit my shoulder. Whenever I moved my chair it either caught under a wheel or my feet. So to move it out of the way I laid the cable over one leg, and then it's weight pulled it awkwardly on one ear.

Hope this all helps narrow down a decision. Maybe some Cardas people can comment on their cable and tell if it is any better or worse!!

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 36
Cool, thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Deends on your budget. If you can only afford to buy a Clou, get it!! If you can afford the Cardas or Equinox, get it!! ANYTHING is better than the stock cable, so anything will be a step in the right direction. Read some articles here under cables and tweaks on the Cardas and Equinox cables, it is worthwhile reading.

I personally returned my Equinox since the weight, stiffness, and other ergonomic issues, and a desire to get my AT W1000s!! But that decision was made after 28 days of trying to get to like this cable, but I never could bring myself to get over these issues. Whenever I lookedover my shoulder the piece that came out of the driverhit my shoulder. Whenever I moved my chair it either caught under a wheel or my feet. So to move it out of the way I laid the cable over one leg, and then it's weight pulled it awkwardly on one ear.

Hope this all helps narrow down a decision. Maybe some Cardas people can comment on their cable and tell if it is any better or worse!!

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #25 of 36
In my hands I hold a red pill, and a red pill. Either way you are already headed down the rabbit hole with the rest of us lemmings, and although you may turn your head and look back at the receding point of light that was the entrance, your forward velocity will continue to increase at a rate proportional to the mass of your wallet.

Enjoy the ride

gerG

Dec 9, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
.... your forward velocity will continue to increase at a rate proportional to the mass of your wallet.

Enjoy the ride

gerG

Sometimes I think that it is inversely proportional to the mass of the wallet!! The less I have the more I want and spend???

May 3, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #27 of 36
While sitting here, listening with my HD 600 and HA-2, thinking about what source I should choose and if I need a replacement cable (I do), I just wanted to say that I hate you all from the bottom of my wallet.

I feel better already.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Bherserk
While sitting here, listening with my HD 600 and HA-2, thinking about what source I should choose and if I need a replacement cable (I do), I just wanted to say that I hate you all from the bottom of my wallet.

I feel better already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-Fo bherserk, sorry about your wallet and life.
biggrin.gif
At least you will have better and better sound as the roller coaster ride of audio upgrades rides up and down along with your credit limit and availability.

May 3, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Equiniox
smily_headphones1.gif

Really, it's a matter of opinion for the most part. The equinox takes all of the sonic qualities of the HD-600 and brings them to the next level. Rich, warm, laid back sound, IMO, the way they should be.

The cardas cable is more revealing, but to my ears, just doesn't sound right. I just feel that if you want revealing phones, there are options like etys out there, but again, just how i feel. You might come to the conclusion that i'm insane
wink.gif

Edit: for ergonomics, the equinox is the most flexable of the 3 replacement cables, followed by the cardas, and then, the horribly stiff clous

May 4, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 36
i think there can be an end... if you switch to another hobby that demand lots of money. lately, i've been dreaming about getting a cannon G3. so i have to work and save up money for the next two or three months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back