I hate you all :)
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Yazen

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to like the Brainwavz HM5 cans that I just got, but they aren't that great.  I wanted to ditch my ad-700's because they lack bass volume, but the HM5's aren't much better.  In fact, the HM5's don't sound as good in most songs I've tested; (anything that doesn't emphasize drums ad-700 > HM5).  

Is there anything I can do to improve the SQ of the HM5 cans?  Please don't mention EQ, I could have done that with my ad-700s.  I'm using a Xonar DG set at <32ohms voip mode (because the HM5s start crackling at 32-64ohm mode).

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 18
I want to like the Brainwavz HM5 cans that I just got, but they aren't that great.  I wanted to ditch my ad-700's because they lack bass volume, but the HM5's aren't much better.  In fact, the HM5's don't sound as good in most songs I've tested; (anything that doesn't emphasize drums ad-700 > HM5).  

Is there anything I can do to improve the SQ of the HM5 cans?  Please don't mention EQ, I could have done that with my ad-700s.  I'm using a Xonar DG set at <32ohms voip mode (because the HM5s start crackling at 32-64ohm mode).

Everything that I've read about the HM5 calls them extremely neutral, so other than the fact that they're closed, I'm curious why you chose those as your next attempted upgrade. If you're looking for an open yet bassier sound in that price range, try the Sennheiser 555 (or used 558). If you want to switch to or are ok with closed, maybe the HD280 or a used HD25 1-II.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 18
imo the ad700's are great for me, however sometimes higher frequencies hurt my ears; and the bass (although detailed somewhat) was quite weak in volume.  I'm in college so I thought setting a budget would be responsible :wink:, after some feedback I was set on Superlux/Brainwavz.  Sound stage isn't that important to me as long as the music doesn't sound congested, and I have to admit the HM5s don't sound that way in most songs.  But I was hoping for more, the HD600s sound way better than this; don't know how they are being compared to $250<X cans.

Is it just me?  Did I get a lemon?  I'm hoping these are legit and not some false **** people get free to put positive reviews on.  It seems like every time I order smth from HK it never lives up to the reviews :D

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 18
How long have you had them - and how long have you been listening to them before you posted this?

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 18
If you dont like their sound its time to buy another set of headphones. 
cool.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 18
I'm confused as to why you bought HM5s when you wanted more bass. Also, in my experience, products rarely live up to the hype that others rave about in threads where many don't even own the headphones yet. It seems that you also set your own expectations of the product too high (eg. believing that they'd be just as good as HD 600s).

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 18
Reason I was asking is that in another thread the OP mentioned they had 'just arrived' within last couple of hours.

We know nothing about his source, or anything else - just that (in his opinion) the HM5 are not "that great".  I'd kind of expect that he might give it a couple of days to get used to them first before making any sweeping statements.

OP - I own both the HD600 and the HM5 - and although (IMO) the HM5 don't get that close to the goodness that is the HD600, they are similar in their neutrality.

Maybe the signature isn't for you - but you've obviously had the AD700s for a while, and the HM5 for very little time.  Why not give it 48 hours and then see what you think.  If you don't like them - return or flick them on.  Should be plenty of willing takers.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

I don't own the HM5 so I won't talk about what it sounds like, but the section I put in bold leaves me scratching my head.  Have you tried the new headphones with any other sources like an ipod/iphone/ect. ?

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 18
I tried three sources, with and without amp (fiio e11).  I do agree, I should try them out awhile longer.  It seems whenever I read a review here I end up buying something new, disappointed because they don't live up to the hype.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
^ Sony MP3 player, Xonar DG audio card, tablet (touchpad)

TouchPad should be able to drive them pretty well. Manages to drive my TF10 to near perfection unamped, despite the massive impedance shifting peaking at 64.5 ohms...Everything else needed an insane EQ.
If you still can't get it right, get Preware and install TouchVol. Hardware level 5 band EQ to use along with pretty fine volume adjustments. Really nice for finding the "right" volume to listen at.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 18
lol, I'm going to test them more.  I'm concerned the drivers are flawed, as they crackle when amped with fiio e11, or my xonar dg.  Its not natural for any headphone priced over $20 to sound more muddled than beats.. 

Anyone think it could be just the cables/faulty wiring?  I won't be shipping back to hk, costs $45 :D

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 18
So here's a trick.

If you aren't detecting an improvement moving from the AD700 to the HM5, then listen to them backwards. In other words, listen to the HM5 for a couple days and get familiar with their sound. Then, switch back to the AD700 and the differences should be quite striking. I use this method all the time to verify differences in headphones, but it works best when moving from the "technically" superior headphone to the inferior one. And in this case, that's pretty much a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back