I Hate Video Games
May 29, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #151 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The series really is a parody of old cheesy B movies, the developer has admitted so. Once you get to one of the later levels of MGS2 the rooms start being named after the human digestive tract, you get to see your main character get completely naked and watch him do cartwheels, your commander giving you orders goes completely insane (FISSION MAILED??), and the ending has one of the most What just happened feelings. With a completely random live action scene of NYC, which is so out of place.

But the last katana boss fight was very fun. MGS2 really was a pretty strange game.

MGS3 has my favorite ending to a video game ever. The gameplay mechanics are as close to flawless as I've ever seen, mastering CQC is brilliant.

OK now I want to play this thing.

May 29, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #152 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK now I want to play this thing.

You might still really hate it. I don't think anyone but the die hard MGS fans accepted it.

MGS3 for the most part is entirely serious, with the only MGS cues being the completely bizarre bosses you encounter. But it's a little deeper, since you have to actively change your camo to blend in with the environment and heal your wounds. Two things a lot of people hated. Oh yes and you have to eat to keep your stamina up
plainface.gif

edit: another thing that's weird about MGS2 is you don't play as the main character normally seen in the series. Instead you play along side him for most of the story. And some of the codec speak might get confusing when taking to Pliskin, since they make references to the first game. Oh yes I was pretty bored of the level design about half way through the game, there's only so much back and forth you can do running around on what's basically a huge hexagon.

May 29, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #153 of 188
Quote:

You might still really hate it. I don't think anyone but the die hard MGS fans accepted it.

MGS3 for the most part is entirely serious, with the only MGS cues being the completely bizarre bosses you encounter. But it's a little deeper, since you have to actively change your camo to blend in with the environment and heal your wounds. Two things a lot of people hated. Oh yes and you have to eat to keep your stamina up
plainface.gif

edit: another thing that's weird about MGS2 is you don't play as the main character normally seen in the series. Instead you play along side him for most of the story. And some of the codec speak might get confusing when taking to Pliskin, since they make references to the first game. Oh yes I was pretty bored of the level design about half way through the game, there's only so much back and forth you can do running around on what's basically a huge hexagon.

Did John Carpenter sign off on a video game character named "Snake Plissken"? Because I would be pissed if they stole a character I created and brought to life.

May 29, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #154 of 188
Is it necessary to have played and completed MGS2 to fully enjoy MGS3?

May 29, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #155 of 188
Quote:

The series really is a parody of old cheesy B movies, the developer has admitted so. Once you get to one of the later levels of MGS2 the rooms start being named after the human digestive tract, you get to see your main character get completely naked and watch him do cartwheels, your commander giving you orders goes completely insane (FISSION MAILED??), and the ending has one of the most What just happened feelings. With a completely random live action scene of NYC, which is so out of place.

But the last katana boss fight was very fun. MGS2 really was a pretty strange game.

MGS3 has my favorite ending to a video game ever. The gameplay mechanics are as close to flawless as I've ever seen, mastering CQC is brilliant.

Ok, this was weird:

I was watching the history channel, I forget what show, but it started to talk about a conspiracy of (I think 12 or w/e) elite, in a secret society that basically controlled everything. The show called them The Patriots.

I havn't played mgs2 in years, but I believe the game mentioned something about this group of ppl. They were also called The Patriots.

I just thought it was a crazy coincidence, considering I has just finished the game.

May 29, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #156 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did John Carpenter sign off on a video game character named "Snake Plissken"? Because I would be pissed if they stole a character I created and brought to life.

Holy crap!

I learned something new today, thanks for bringing this to my attention
biggrin.gif

from wikipedia:
Quote:

The remainder of the game follows the actions of the rookie FOXHOUND agent Raiden (the character now controlled by the player), who has been assigned to rescue the president of the United States and a number of other government officials being held hostage at a remote offshore facility. Solid Snake, who survived the explosion in the prologue, makes periodic appearances throughout the rest of the game (under the pseudonym "Iroquois Pliskin", taken from the name of the character Snake Plissken from Escape from New York) as a non-playable character.

He's normally Solid Snake, he uses the alias Iroquois Pliskin only in MGS2 (since he's wanted for the Tanker incident).

Kojima does get a lot of his ideas from western film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, MGS3 is a stand alone game. It's a prequel to all the other games. You don't play as Solid Snake, you're Naked Snake (Big Boss). But The Patriots are first explained in MGS2, and they are mentioned again in MGS3. If you didn't play MGS2 some things might be confusing, I'm not sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, this was weird:

I was watching the history channel, I forget what show, but it started to talk about a conspiracy of (I think 12 or w/e) elite, in a secret society that basically controlled everything. The show called them The Patriots.

I havn't played mgs2 in years, but I believe the game mentioned something about this group of ppl. They were also called The Patriots.

I just thought it was a crazy coincidence, considering I has just finished the game.

Not a coincidence. The Patriots play a big part in the story of MGS2 and MGS3, and the reference to them in the game is similar concept to the conspiracy theory.

May 29, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #157 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Absolutely not, MGS3 is a prequel to the whole franchise anyway. Trust me, you will probably enjoy MGS3 better.

In terms of accessibility, it probably goes MGS3->MGS1->huge gap->MGS2

May 29, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #158 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only strategy in gow is knowing when to dock and knowing when to shoot...........its a pure shooter.

for some reason, i always struggle with shooting games. i can never get the two joysticks right. i always try to be accurate but if i do that then i become a sitting duck. if i were to shoot and aim on the run, it's hard for me to hit the target.

that's why i like the psp version. press a button to lock down on an enemy and shoot. so muchhhhhh simpler.
redface.gif

May 29, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #159 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely not, MGS3 is a prequel to the whole franchise anyway. Trust me, you will probably enjoy MGS3 better.

In terms of accessibility, it probably goes MGS3->MGS1->huge gap->MGS2

Agreed. I'd rather play MGS3 over the others because the gameplay is deeper and the storyline doesn't get as wooly as 2.

But, I had mate who gave up on it almost immediately despite him enjoying the previous 2 games
plainface.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #160 of 188
MGS2 had some really huge (read: complex and philosophical) ideas and themes in the storyline, which left most people with a "What?!" during the ending credits. MGS3 on the other hand didn't have such a complex storyline, but overall it was easier to get into, plus the ending is the best on any console.

May 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #161 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MGS2 had some really huge (read: complex and philosophical) ideas and themes in the storyline, which left most people with a "What?!" during the ending credits. MGS3 on the other hand didn't have such a complex storyline, but overall it was easier to get into, plus the ending is the best on any console.

I agree, the ending was awsome.

May 29, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #162 of 188
Its all about ICO and Shadow of the colossus. Beautiful games and something very different all most the ***** that seems to come out these days
frown.gif

Mind you the MGS series is great especially 1 and 3. Final fantasy 12 is shocking, wheres the plot? And the character delevopment... did anyone like Vaan!? I couldn't give a funk about the characters in it compared to FFX, FF7 and FF8. I liked the hunts tho but that yazimat thing took ruddy ages to kill!

May 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #163 of 188
FFXII isn't about the characters, it's about the world of Ivalice as a whole.

And the plot was great.

May 29, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #164 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some reason, i always struggle with shooting games. i can never get the two joysticks right. i always try to be accurate but if i do that then i become a sitting duck. if i were to shoot and aim on the run, it's hard for me to hit the target.

that's why i like the psp version. press a button to lock down on an enemy and shoot. so muchhhhhh simpler.
redface.gif

I have the same problem. I can operate a joystick and mash buttons, but my thumbs just will not do 2 joysticks. This is where I got frustrated with "Ratchet", the hoverbikes switched from a button pad accelleration to using the left joystick to accelerate, steer with the right. It could not be changed from the menu either. Maybe I just need more practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back