I hate the snow in London.
Feb 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #31 of 91
here it's sunny and about 15 degrees in average, and it's now the winter here ... Israel sucks!

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They canceled a concert just because of a little bit of snow?! I'm in Canada where that amount of snow is considered nothing, unless you live in Vancouver. I see no reason to cancel a concert because of that much snow and you have the tube to travel on underground so what is the issue?

I'm thinking the same thing, which is why I'm heart broken not being able to see Zukerman.

Perhaps it's getting the entire orchestra to Royal Festival Hall that becomes a problem, not so much the people getting there.

Moreover, the crowd turnout might be less than expected. That wouldn't be nice for the performers either, despite the concert being a sell-out.

It's been a depressing day for staying in. I drowned my sorrows watching Dexter the whole time. The sinister aspect of it helped me pass through the iceflakes which have now subsided. Couldn't it stop a few hours earlier just so I could see Beethoven's Violin Concerto?

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #35 of 91
Here's one I made earlier:

32475975367b00788ac1hk4.jpg

The snow stopped falling around 3pm today and now it's raining (SE England). Unless the temperatures drop to freezing or we get more snow I'd say it'll be all gone by Wednesday.
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You people in EU have it easy, believe me. We get a ridiculous amount of snow in Canada.

Yea, especially Ottawa where you are. I wanted to move to Ottawa as I like it there but the winters you get made me change my mind.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same mentality, why go through all the effort and expense to only be able to use it occasionally.

not my opinion, but am calling it how i think the government sees it.

I'm sure there's a file in an office somewhere labelled "Winter Weather Prevention" with ~£12 million stamped on the front and every time it snows people in suits pick it up, open it, and shake their heads at the large red numbers at the bottom of each page, maybe some comments about net trade loss and total deaths, and by the time it's passed along and put down again the snows already thawed. Money saved, crisis averted!

rolleyes.gif

EK

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure there's a file in an office somewhere labelled "Winter Weather Prevention" with ~£12 million stamped on the front and every time it snows people in suits pick it up, open it, and shake their heads at the large red numbers at the bottom of each page, maybe some comments about net trade loss and total deaths, and by the time it's passed along and put down again the snows already thawed. Money saved, crisis averted!

rolleyes.gif

EK

I saw a news today on BBC, that project is like every car has a shovel, metal tires for the wheels lol
icon10.gif
, just like what they do in Russia.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #39 of 91
What's happening? I spent Christmas and new year in London for the first time in 10 years hoping to show the kids a white x'mas. No snow whatever.
As soon as we are back in California it snows!?
Lovely pictures!

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This must be what the twilight zone feels like
eek.gif

Nah, it's what Chicago feels like. Except that things here just slow down instead of grinding to a halt.
biggrin.gif

Through the whole month of January, we had (at best) two days of above-freezing weather, and one day where the low was -30C/-22F. Of course, people in Yellowknife or Yakutsk would laugh at us wimpy Chicagoans... even in Minnesota, temperatures like that are routine.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #41 of 91
Never had snow when I lived in London. Well technically I was near Heathrow, in Hayes, Middlesex. Cool fog and light rain though.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, everything ground to a halt today. Trains, buses, the underground, because of a foot of snow.

I love this- all the last week the story over here has been trains cancelled in Melbourne/Adelaide, due to rails buckling in the 46C/115F heat down south!
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never had snow when I lived in London. Well technically I was near Heathrow, in Hayes, Middlesex. Cool fog and light rain though.

Go in Hayes Tandoori and have a nice curry... never mind the wheather.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #44 of 91
The curry shops in the greater London area, started my lifelong appreciation of the cuisine, with a couple of trips to India as well :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back