I hate headphones that sound "FUN"
Jan 8, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 115
I was in the Apple store at my local mall yesterday.
Ive heard the Bose Triports in that store a few times,and in other stores and they always sounded like plastic crap. For some reason ,i decided to go in there again yesterday and i heard them again,and except for a tiny bit of fake sound to the bass,they actually sounded good
blink.gif

I never like them any other time. I heard them on a new nano 8gb model. I tried a variety of music on it.
Maybe i should have plugged them into my own rig in case their music is optimized for Bose.
I made sure the EQ was set to OFF also.
But anyway, although theyre not accurate, they actually sounded "fun" for once,and punchy...and i almost liked them(oh the horror!!!)
Maybe i have more hearing damage than i thought???!!!

As far as what sounds good to who.....everyone likes different sounds,and has different hearing,etc.
When i listen to phones at a meet,or take them from a friends head to hear what theyre listening to.....theyre tooo LOUD!!!!!
WAY TOO LOUD!!!!! 90% if the time i rip them off my head!!!
So everyones tastes are different.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 115
I don't hate, but having lobster EVERYDAY can be tiring.

Perfect phone would be an accurate set, THEN the extra bass driver which I can turn off/down, like in my car! The next evolution in headphones... out of the door now to patent it!

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 115
Thanks for the explanation of resolving - both of them!

I'll tell you what I LOVE about a nice set of headphones - be they 'fun' or otherwise. So I'm at work last night listening to Dave Matthews Band 'Crash' CD - burned to my PC as a 128 kpbs mp3 file - yeah, I know. Now I've listened to this CD hundreds of times, in my car, on my home stereo and in mp3 players. But this is the first time on my new mp3 player and more importantly with my new Denon AH-C700's. I'm really getting into the song 'Drive In, Drive Out'. It gets to the end and has a kicking, jamming end. As the last note hits and fades I hear very distinctly in the background someone say "THAT, is bad $hit!", as in, MAN, was THAT good! But I'd never heard that before in all the times I've listened to that song. I burst out laughing and my co-workers are just looking at me funny.

That, my friends, is what I find so fun about headphone listening. Picking up all the neat little things I didn't hear before. I think I'll start a thread for people post about songs that have these little gems on them!

Great thread though. I've learned more already. For instance, I didn't know sax players wore corderoy, or had so much gas!

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 115
you don't want "Fun"? ok, how about this - gimme all your headphones, sell your house/car, quit your job...no wait, keep your job, because it's probably not fun....breakup/divorce your girlfriend/wife, then go live on the streets like a homeless person.

i thought we listen to headphones for "fun", but i could be mistaken.
confused.gif

every headphone is "colored" to some degree. if you want accuracy, or clinical sound maybe you should become a groupie and follow your favorite band around on tour...that's the only way you're gonna get that original/clinical sound you're looking for.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #22 of 115
Some of u should try to keep your day job. Of course when he says "fun" he means sonically fun. I believe he explained it.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 115
fun is fun. if you're not having fun then why listen?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #24 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by hierobryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fun is fun. if you're not having fun then why listen?

you have much to learn, grasshopper.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That, my friends, is what I find so fun about headphone listening. Picking up all the neat little things I didn't hear before. I think I'll start a thread for people post about songs that have these little gems on them!

I noticed that when you are listening to a fairly flat and accurate headphone or speaker systems you hear much more, because there is nothing about the sound that is masking the background layer and the same time the foreground layer is not shoved in your face.

It is especially true with music that is not overly processed or compressed. This kind of experience, if you lets say are listening to Peter Brotzman - "Machine Gun"
biggrin.gif
, is not much of a foot-tapping and head-shaking fun, but is exactly what I am looking for in music.

I want to be able to hear what was captured in the time of the recording, this makes me feel like I was there during the recording. Even the subtle and not so subtle sound manipulation in the studio become much more apparent. The sad part is that lots of records are so poorly made that they fall apart with any kind of critical listening.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your taste in girls must be boring.
smily_headphones1.gif

Says u. He apparently likes refined. Some of u, any TnA, and yer all excited.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #28 of 115
I'm guilty.

I really enjoy my ATH-ES7 because they are fun sounding. I know they are neither accurate nor neutral, but actually I find myself wondering if there is a full size circumaural can that has a similar sound signature because I suspect I might prefer that to any of my other cans...
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is especially true with music that is not overly processed or compressed. This kind of experience, if you lets say are listening to Peter Brotzman - "Machine Gun"
biggrin.gif
, is not much of a foot-tapping and head-shaking fun, but is exactly what I am looking for in music.

With you on that. The problem is most of the music which comes out on CDs now is overproduced, heavily EQd, normalized and brickwalled in mastering to be listenable on iPod/iBuds. As a result, when you move up the SQ ladder and expect your favorite music to sound more interesting you sort of 'season' the bland standardized ProTools sound with 'fun' equipment.

With the music you listen to, this 'seasoning' is not needed. All the 'fun' is already there, in the recording.

P.S. Nice sig.
18407.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back