I got Mac'd!!!
May 4, 2007 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
I have two good friends who are Mac users. One has an iBook, and the other has a Mac Mini, which is really amazingly small. My PC was coughing up blood, so the mini owner offered me his spare iMac. It's upgraded to OS 10.3.9, and the iBook owner used Norton Utilities on it. We found over 150,000 files with minor problems! I feel like I finally own a real computer. It is the iMac with convection cooling, so it does not whine like my old PC, it has an 80 gig hard drive vs the 6 gig in my PC. It has TWO headphone jacks, and I plan to also use my Proton 300/301 combo for sound. It should be awesome!

Laz
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 59
Welcome to the club. In case you were wondering(and I know you aren't), there's no going back now. I'm kicking myself for waiting as long as I did to make the move. Could have saved myself some serious $$ not to mention stomach lining which was sacrificed in dealing with Windows. Congrats!

May 4, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 59
Welcome to the club!

Which iMac are you talking about, the one that looks like a sunflower with the swivel head or the flat panel or the old CRT? I don't remember one with two headphone jacks...

--Chris

May 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 59
Welcom fellow Mac-Head-Fier!!!
biggrin.gif
You got some good-cool friends
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 59
Welcome to the fold. I doubt it has two headphone jacks though. Are you confusing with the mic input?

Now go to this thread and also visit the Applescripts link in my sig.

May 4, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 59
soo... when are you putting linux on it? just kiddin.. congrats on the mac

May 5, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club. In case you were wondering(and I know you aren't), there's no going back now. I'm kicking myself for waiting as long as I did to make the move. Could have saved myself some serious $$ not to mention stomach lining which was sacrificed in dealing with Windows. Congrats!

first off, i want to say i really like the form factor/aesthetics of macbook/pro.
but they are so overpriced, like sonys. i can get a laptop with similar features for less. that's why i never pony up to buy one.

but i never understand this "no going back" business." they aren't THAT different. or do you guys say it in a way similar to belonging to a exclusive club.

and i also dont understand when ppl say they always have problems with windows and it always crashes. just what were you guys doing with the computer?

btw, how old was your computer? 6 gigs?

May 5, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i never understand this "no going back" business." they aren't THAT different.

It's a combination of small and not so small things that adds up. I can list off dozens of concrete reasons why I'm currently in the process of selling my last Windows machine on eBay. If you're interested in hearing about my specific reasons, PM me, since this isn't an advocacy thread.

May 5, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But honestly, what on earth were you using for your PC? 6gig HD's, wasn't that around the time of the original Pentium?

Well, I did say it was coughing up blood - first, it whined; then, the floppy drive died; then, the CD-ROM drive died; then, it would no longer connect to the internet. It was a no-name PC I spent too much money for at the Surplus Exchange, where it was probably cobbed together from older parts. A sticker on the case says, if I recall rightly, 2000. When I bought it, even it was a step up from the IBM Aptiva I bought at a garage sale for ten bucks - slow, but it had a lovely case. Some friends are still using the Aptiva. For those of you who say there is no going back, my friend with the iBook also has a PC networked to it. I am grateful for all the congrats!

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back