I got Mac'd!!!
May 5, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the fold. I doubt it has two headphone jacks though. Are you confusing with the mic input?

At least the first two iterations of the iMac have two headphone outs. I know, as I had one of the second iteration.

To the OP: Welcome to the club. Happy MBP user myself. Have been using Macs since the MacPlus.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imac G5 here!

Works Flawlessly! You will love it once you tackle the small learning curve.
biggrin.gif

Small learnign curve? OSX is a unix OS so how do you figure it has a small learning curve? XP and Vista are far easier to learn than Unix. Those icons you are clicking on the desktop is a shell and not an OS. If Apple has made OSX look like a kids toy then they are the masters of disguise.

May 5, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small learnign curve? OSX is a unix OS so how do you figure it has a small learning curve? XP and Vista are far easier to learn than Unix. Those icons you are clicking on the desktop is a shell and not an OS. If Apple has made OSX look like a kids toy then they are the masters of disguise.

Microsoft stole the GUI interface from Apple in the first place. Yes behind the scenes everything is very different.

Apple has mastered point and click to the point that any windows user can very easily adapt after all they have been using an "apple" interface all along!

Have you seen Vista! Its more Apple like then ever!

May 5, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microsoft stole the GUI interface from Apple in the first place. Yes behind the scenes everything is very different.

Actually both of them stole it from Xerox. Since then they have copied each other as well as X11 projects, not to mention OSX is based heavily on Steve's previous project, NeXT, and the core of OSX is based on the Mach kernel. This is the way competition works. People say MS ripped off the dashboard, when Apple ripped off Konfabulator. Eh - most all corporations suck, and all computers suck in some way or another.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I love my G5, but the thing is such a power hog, I think I'm going to have to switch to mini after the next refresh. Now that I've switched to one big monitor (Dell 24") rather than two small ones, it's more practical. Not to mention even the current minis can pound my G5 into the ground
plainface.gif

Congrats on the Mac, but never let the hype blind you, no matter what you use. It's no different from headphone gear - if you pick your own path, you'll be better for it.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small learnign curve? OSX is a unix OS so how do you figure it has a small learning curve?

I'm quite adept at using my Mac and I have never once needed to resort to the Unix prompt.

My intel based Macbook is a great machine. I can't wait to replace my G5 desktop with one of the intel screamers.

See ya
Steve

May 5, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention even the current minis can pound my G5 into the ground
plainface.gif

Well, maybe not "pound into the ground." I just sold off my Dual 1.8 G5 and bought a 2ghz C2D MacBook, and while it's faster than the G5 it's still got limitations (particularly hard drive) the G5 didn't have.

It is *so* much quieter in here now, though. And I can travel with it (minus the 24" external monitor!).

--Chris

May 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe not "pound into the ground." I just sold off my Dual 1.8 G5 and bought a 2ghz C2D MacBook, and while it's faster than the G5 it's still got limitations (particularly hard drive) the G5 didn't have.

Don't you think that is just due to it being a laptop? You have to make some compromises to be able to carry your mac around under your arm.

See ya
Steve

May 5, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you think that is just due to it being a laptop? You have to make some compromises to be able to carry your mac around under your arm.

Of course!

I was responding to someone who was talking about getting a Mac Mini, and the MacBook and Mac Mini are comparable all things considered. The point is that the Mac Mini is not going to run the G5 into the ground in all respects, just like the MacBook doesn't (even though it's a bit faster).

--Chris

May 5, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 59
Macs... I bought an ibook G4 2 years ago and thought OS X was the most amazing thing ever. After a year I started hating it more and more by the day. There were tons of little things I hated about it that started adding up. Not to mention you can still hardlock and crash OS X quite easily. By the end of the second year it started to die. The trackpad broke and the keyboard was going. I searched for answers then I realized the knowledge level of 99% of apple users is "send it to apple, I have a 5 year warranty I paid for", that certainly didn't help.

I ended up buying a refurb XPS M1210 running Vista with much better specs than any macbook at a lower price and "I'll never look back"

And that's my story of being an apple convert, turned back to windows.

May 5, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 59
I wouldn't recommend buying any laptop computer without buying the extended warranty for it. Laptops are just more delicate than desktops.

See ya
Steve

May 5, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe not "pound into the ground."

It was a bit of intentional hyperbole when I said that
smily_headphones1.gif
The raw CPU power of the Core Duo is superior, not to mention the ability to run windows apps at native speeds. The slow HD is actually one reason I haven't made up my mind yet - if the next revision of the mini had ESATA it would be an easier choice.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend buying any laptop computer without buying the extended warranty for it. Laptops are just more delicate than desktops.

See ya
Steve

Absolutely - amongst my friends with power books and macbooks, all but one optical drive has had to be replaced.

May 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 59
I can say since that OSX came out I have never had a system crash. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. At work we use Windows and we get a lock up once in awhile. I got a Mac because my wife used one for graphic design. I find the Apple community quite knowledgable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back