I found a lot of people here may be from china
Aug 24, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #136 of 167
When I say Asian, I include predominately southeast and east Asians. YOU are the one who refused to think your own, the Chinese, were capable of promiscuity and accused the Japanese outright even though they were never mentioned beforehand. And don't play the "I don't get English" card, you knew the meaning well enough to give a valid (if inappropriate) answer.

You're backed in a corner and are just trying to pass the blame

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #137 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asians in general are portrayed fairly poorly, being shown as weak, submissive, effeminate, unattractive, (and in regards to women) loose. Society accepts this view, yet stands morally hard against negative White/Black/etc. stereotypes. I've seen many people come to our neck of the woods and try treat us like "female dogs", thinking we'd just take it. Here, many South East and East Asians come from war-torn areas where disrespect is answered with violence.

This is very strange to me. In my world, and in my industry, Asians of whatever origin are treated with respect. I have many Asian co-workers. What you describe is completely outside of my experience, and nothing like anything I've observed in California. Is it possible that you are talking about what I'd call a "bad neighborhood?" That's how it sounds to me.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #138 of 167
I've actually been met with more racism (but less violence) in the non-ghettos. There are a lot of folks who descend from Cali, Penn, etc.. and they say it's the same thing. In fact, I would say you're one of the few Asians I've met who never noticed the negative portrayal of Asians in the media or received personal mistreatment. Although being Southeast Asian it may be a bit worse, since we're negatively stereotyped as gangsters and thugs. (Which sadly is what this prejudice causes some of them to become)

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #139 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've actually been treated met with more racist (but less violence) in the non-ghettos. There are a lot of folks here from Cali, and they say it's the same thing. In fact, I would say you're one of the few Asians I've met who never noticed the negative potrayal of Asians in the media, as well as personal mistreatment.

I am not Asian, which may explain that.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #140 of 167
lol the op sent me a friend request...

From where I'm from (SoCal), asians are conventionally stereotyped as hardworking, perfectionism, etc...no disrespect, only respect for diligence.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #141 of 167
^ Sadly that stereotype really doesn't exist for South East Asians. (Well, perhaps the Vietnamese) I realize South East Asians and East Asians are quite different, both in their behaviors and perceptions by others. I still believe that prejudice against Asians as a whole should be treated like that towards Blacks/Whites/etc.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #143 of 167
^ They're still stereotypes. I've met people who thought all Asians were Chinese/Japanese, and often assumed they were born with Intel processors in their brain. And I thought it was because they have a cultural focus on learning... and parental fear.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #144 of 167
This thread is very close to being locked. I have deleted posts (might have missed some) that were racist, engaging in name calling, and in Chinese. Also, I'm reminding members to avoid political commentary as it also is against head-fi rules. If you choose to continue to post similar comments as those which were deleted or post in a foreign language, you are asking to no longer be a member, temporarily or permanently.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #145 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol the op sent me a friend request...

LOL, and he sent me one requesting that I delete my post.

Dear policeman, I respect your opinions, but I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway on to more happy (head-fi related) thoughts.. I bought my IBasso D10 in Shanghai yesterday.. awesomeeee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #146 of 167
BTW policeman, you're probably the expert on this.. Other than soundec and anrun, where else would be a good place to go in Shanghai for personal audio?

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #147 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*high five* for being a 鍾
biggrin.gif
So your kids are Chin-gl-ian? Awesome!
tongue.gif
I have a HK child's ID card, and in 3 years time will need a full ID card and a Sha Tau Kok premises pass for crossing the restricted section. Ooh college? Which one?
Leicester is alright to be honest, chilling with friends at victoria park and that. Tis good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife went to Leicester Polytechnic which is now De Montfort University. She moved to London because of work. We still have a lot of friends there though.

Small world eh? The only Chinese people I've seen around Vicky park are international students. As for me, I'm BBC and about as proficient at Cantonese as John Sargeant is at dancing, actually not that bad. Leicester Polytechnic? That must've have been decades ago?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very strange to me. In my world, and in my industry, Asians of whatever origin are treated with respect. I have many Asian co-workers. What you describe is completely outside of my experience, and nothing like anything I've observed in California. Is it possible that you are talking about what I'd call a "bad neighborhood?" That's how it sounds to me.

I think its an utter shame that politics is a no-go area on Head-Fi, there could be some enthralling discussions with the the breadth of decent members we have here.

Kirosia: I know what you mean, when you talk about the social disparity between discrimination of Chinese (Asian) ethnic groups compared to others, which I won't mention specifically for fear of being banned. It's not that much of an issue here in the UK - you're more likely to be stopped by a police officer if you're Asian (that is if you're from the predominantly Indian and Pakistani sub-continent rather than the American definition of Asian) or black but when it comes to racism towards Chinese people, society registers it as being less volatile and/or less offensive than if that same abuse was directed towards other ethnic groups. But if what you've said is true for your day-to-life then I feel for you.

Rangen: And on the flip side, I know exactly where you're coming from with your comments too. I once had a Big Issue vendor say to me that Chinese people have integrated so well into British society and why couldn't other members of society do the same? I walked away feeling quite humbled and bemused at his statement.

I'm ambivalent about making the closing statement I was intending to write, but where exactly does Head-Fi draw the lines about 'political' discussion? Its such a grey area and I really don't want to discuss the finer details of the boundaries because that will probably end badly if previous instances of 'political threads' are taken into account
triportsad.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #148 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small world eh? The only Chinese people I've seen around Vicky park are international students. As for me, I'm BBC and about as proficient at Cantonese as John Sargeant is at dancing, actually not that bad. Leicester Polytechnic? That must've have been decades ago?

You're from Leicester? The only Chinese people I seem to see are students at Leicester Uni. I always see at least 1 when on the bus back home from school at the Welford Rd/University Rd junction. There always seems to be a Chinese person crossing the road when I pass there. From pcf's profile, it says he's 50. So yeah, some time ago.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #149 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From pcf's profile, it says he's 50. So yeah, some time ago.

Don't tell anyone!
redface.gif
I'm an old hack.
My wife went to Leicester Poly to study Graphic Design/animation in the 90's and we met in a studio in London when she was doing her work placement. The rest is history. There are far less Chinese people in UK than in the states. We live in Cupertino now which has a 50% Asian (US term) population. Our kids go to a Chinese/English immersion school. My wife alway jokes about this as she belongs to the minority group here.
-Paul

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #150 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't tell anyone!
redface.gif
I'm an old hack.
My wife went to Leicester Poly to study Graphic Design/animation in the 90's and we met in a studio in London when she was doing her work placement. The rest is history. There are far less Chinese people in UK than in the states. We live in Cupertino now which has a 50% Asian (US term) population. Our kids go to a Chinese/English immersion school. My wife alway jokes about this as she belongs to the minority group here.
-Paul

50%?! That's quite a lot compared to here, which is like 1.5% Chinese (according to Wiki, seems right though) That's why I always like going back to Hong Kong on holiday since I just feel like I fit in with the rest of the population
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back